The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Clipping- clippers and $$ Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/clipping-clippers-%24%24-question-151535/)

thefoxrider 01-28-2013 02:46 PM

Clipping- clippers and $$ Question

Hi group -

I'm clipping with Wahl Show Pro clippers (35$ on smartpak) and am really happy with them. I've been using them to clip horses in my budding clipping business, and am wondering if there is a big difference with the Osters/Andis/Listers of the world. I haven't had problems with overheating and the blades are super affordable. Plus, if I blow through a pair of clippers they're easy enough to replace. I did my first blanket clip a few weeks ago and besides some struggles with super long winter hair (this horse was a serious yak) I felt pretty good about it. Do I need to upgrade? Clipping people, do the big clippers exhaust your arms?

Finally, I was curious about what others were charging for clips. Here's a sample of my work so far:

Clipping! | Facebook

What would you charge?

Foxhunter 01-28-2013 06:36 PM

Sorry but I would not pay you anything at all if you came to clip my horses with a pair of small clippers that are not meant for horses, they are OK for trimming and faces but not for doing a full body.
Secondly if you want to charge you need to learn how to do things like leg lines, straight lines and blending into the mane.

I found, many years ago, that if you are good at clipping and buy decent clippers that they pay for themselves in about 10 full clips.

thefoxrider 01-28-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for your opinion, Foxhunter, but I do have some clients in my area. They are generally looking for free hand clips, and don't mind softer lines. I clip mostly for horse comfort as I come from a cold area where it's hard to work a horse because of a heavy coat.

I will take your opinions on my clippers in mind as well. I find that they work well and I don't have heat problems like I've heard others mention when using the bigger body clipping brands.

waresbear 01-28-2013 09:00 PM

Those clippers leave tracks when doing long runs, they are fine for touch ups & small areas but the motor is simply not strong enough for a top notch clip. I would go for something strong, a midrange Oster with detachable blades so you can switch from a 10 upward to the finest, a surgical. The big body clippers are just that, doing the whole body, they cut your clip time immensely. Expect to pay at least $200 to $300 for a good midrange set of clippers and $50 for each set of blades and take of them, they last longer. Use something like cool lube frequently while clipping and bladewash & a blade oil when you are done.
Posted via Mobile Device