The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Aussie saddle tree sizes (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/aussie-saddle-tree-sizes-151552/)

existentialpony 01-28-2013 03:11 PM

Aussie saddle tree sizes

Hi all!

I have a quick question, and figured that you all would have the most experience with australian saddles. I have a ~15hh arabian gelding who typically wears a semi-QH or QH bar western saddle (depending on the brand), and am ordering a synthetic Australian saddle. I will say he is more full-bodied than the average arabian, however I don't have a lot of experience with fitting saddles. I have the option to go with the normal or wide tree-- does anyone have input? If it helps, it is a Down Under Kimberley series saddle.

I know that if I purchase the wide tree, I have the option to send it back to the company with a wither trace for a free adjustment, however the wide tree saddle is on back-order for a few weeks. :(

So I suppose my question is-- in your experience, can a horse as I described typically fit a "normal" treed Australian saddle, or is my best bet to go with the wide?

Thanks!

Ashley

existentialpony 01-28-2013 03:15 PM

Ah, the company just called and recommended a wide tree saddle. ;) I suppose this thread will just be here for reference!

Joe4d 01-28-2013 03:22 PM

take a withers tracing, generally downunder adjusts the trees before they ship them.

Chevaux 01-28-2013 05:40 PM

I got a Kimberly fairly recently. I sent in a wither tracing based on the horse I wanted to use it on at the same time I ordered and paid for the saddle. It fits lovely.

TheOtherHorse 01-28-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1866641)
take a withers tracing, generally downunder adjusts the trees before they ship them.

This. We got two Master Campdraft Deluxe saddles from Down Under. Our saddle fitter sent the wither tracings and Down Under fit the saddles to our horses.