The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Horse Passports? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/horse-passports-151571/)

NorthernHorseshoes 01-28-2013 05:33 PM

Horse Passports?

Hi, I have an unraced, unregistered (that I know of) TB mare that I adopted from a rescue a couple years ago. She's a really nice looking girl, correct conformation, and we do mainly dressage and a little bit of jumping here and there. I'm wanting to show this year, probably just schooling shows but next year or by the end of summer i'd like to go to an actual rated show. I was just looking at entry forms, of the shows around me and anything thats not a schooling show requires a horse passport # and sire/dam information, which I don't know. I'm pretty sure to get a passport you have to have alot more info than I have on this horse. So is that it then? Can I not show at anything more than a schooling show with this horse? I used to show on the Arabian circuit where all my Arabs were registered with AHA, so this open circuit is new to me. Any info at all that you guys can give me of showing mainly on the dressage circuit (I'm in Canada), even hunter jumper too, and what all the requirements are would be very helpful! Thanks!

Tigo 01-28-2013 10:52 PM

I show dressage in Canada and took my grade pony to gold level shows, so he has a passport. My friend also has a grade mare and she has a passport too, so your mare doesn't need to be registered to be granted one.

Directly off of the EC website:
Quote:

In the case of a horse for which there is no record of registration, the application must be accompanied by proof of ownership and a sworn affidavit that the animal is not registered.
I think we got our sworn affidavit notarized with our lawyer, but google tells me you can get it done at courthouses and banks too(?). For sire and dam I would just put in unknown if you don't know, as well as N/A for registration number etc.
Here's the EC website page that includes what you need to include for a passport:Buy/Renew

Also, on the show entries for dam and sire just put in unknown. That's what I always did with my pony and I never had an issue! I

Hope that helps somewhat!

PS. If you are confused/stuck on something on your passport just give Equine Canada a call. In my experiences, they have been extremely prompt and helpful!

NorthernHorseshoes 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

Thank you so much for your response, it was very helpful! I'm happy to know that it will be possible for me to show at rated shows in the future :D

JustDressageIt 01-28-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigo (Post 1867456)
banks too(?).

Teehee - just a heads up, they will look at you like you have two heads if you go into a bank looking for a sworn affidavit for a horse.

Tigo 01-29-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1867554)
Teehee - just a heads up, they will look at you like you have two heads if you go into a bank looking for a sworn affidavit for a horse.

Hahah good to know...That did seen like an odd place to get that done :p . Good to know in order to avoid future embarrassment to someone :lol:

You're welcome, glad I could be of some help :)
Posted via Mobile Device