The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-151578/)

horsecrazygirl1 01-28-2013 05:48 PM

help

I'm sorry don't think I'm doing this right! anyway
my dad lost his job about two years ago, and now we're living of benefits. I think I should give up riding to save money, but I really don't want to. I know it sounds selfish, I'm the eldest of four and I should be trying to help, but horse riding right now is the only thing that makes me happy! I HATE my school I have no friends and there's not much to do where I live.

I really want to be an eventer. I've been riding since I was three and I'm now thirteen. if I stop riding it could be a major setback! I'm already riding with fifteen year olds, and if I stop it will give a chance for other children my age to catch up, and its the fact that my riding teacher thinks I'm good enough to ride with fifteen year olds that drives me to do better and gives me that competitive edge. if I stop for a while and have to be in lessons with children my own age I think I might lose my drive and competitive edge! what should I do?

Muppetgirl 01-28-2013 05:51 PM

I admire your drive, but unfortunately when times are tough, sacrifice is a part of life. Ride for yourself and don't worry about anyone else. When I had kids, I stopped riding for near five years.....have only been back at it for five months and feel just about back t where I was when I stopped.........

SouthernTrails 01-28-2013 05:55 PM

I you have been riding for 11 years, taking a year or two off will not make you forget.

Maybe you could work in trade for lessons or work odd jobs to pay for your own lessons

Helping your family is the best thing you can do and it is the correct thing to do.

waresbear 01-28-2013 06:02 PM

I am pretty sure there is places that will exchange lessons for barn chores.
Posted via Mobile Device

LadyDreamer 01-28-2013 06:05 PM

Sell your horse and take lessons. That way you can keep your "skills" up and not have to spend hundreds of dollars a month caring for the horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl1 01-28-2013 06:09 PM

I don't have a horse I just have a lesson once a week, I asked if I could to stable work for lessons but you have to be 16 or older to work there.

SlideStop 01-28-2013 06:20 PM

I'm in the boat of "thats life". What's more important, putting food on the table for 5/6 or horseback riding? Currently I had to give up my riding lessons, but school comes first. My mom couldn't afford lessons as a kid but I stayed horse obcessed until I was able to afford lesson. It really isn't going to "put you behind". Horseback riding is a skill and comes in levels, not age groups. If its different at your barn I would question that. I teach 7 year olds that are more advanced then 13 or 30 year olds.

If you want to keep riding I'd say buy a nice pair of muck boots and get to shoveling poo, cleaning and filling buckets and tacking for lessons. There is ALWAYS something to be learned in the horse world, and not everything is from the back if the horse, hardwork and sacrifice being among those lessons.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl1 01-29-2013 11:22 AM

I really want to work at the stables I don't mind mucking out and tacking up, but you have to be 16 or over to work there (loads of health and safety rules)!

SlideStop 01-29-2013 01:35 PM

I'd look for another place then. That or your out of luck. Honestly you will probably maintain 80% of your skills. When you go back you will probably only need a "brush up" on the basics then advance quickly to your former level.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 01-29-2013 01:40 PM

What do your parents say about the money for lessons?