The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   First Trail Ride: Details (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/first-trail-ride-details-15165/)

Moxie 09-24-2008 09:26 PM

First Trail Ride: Details

Am I getting out of control with making new topics? lol

First, I'm sorry, but I have no pics to share... I forgot to put my camera around my neck before I mounted, and even if I did have it, I was having a rough enough time, I don't think I would have been able to take any pics. Between Fritz acting like a brat, and the really rough ride, they wouldn't have turned out well anyway. I sowwy.

Anyway, on with my story......

We all arrived at the barn at 5, and it normally starts getting dark at or around 7-7:30ish, and we actually didn't leave the barn til 5:45, so it was a shorter trail ride. We were worried about running into deer, not only for the potential spook factor, but because it is also rut season out here.

At first I was off to a rough start because Fritz was acting like a brat. He wouldn't stand still to be groomed or anything. I did manage to mount, and one good point, I DID find the PERFECT position for my stirrups, although my feet kept coming out, there was little pressure on my ankle and knees.

We had to walk down the road to get to the start of the tail, it was going alright, except for the fact that Fritz assumed it was a race to the finish, and was all gung ho about being the lead horse. :roll: What a tard.

I was actually pretty surprised at how relaxed I was, considering my horse was a crazy man. He'd skip a little, bite at flies, trot despite the fact that he wasn't asked, and even threw a little buck. And I was sure he was going to spook at something, and I'd end up on the ground, thank sweet jeeebus that never happened.

Toward the end of the trail, there was NO holding Fritz back. I let him trot a bit, and when we weren't trotting, he was walking SO fast, my butt was slapping the saddle. Seriously I have to sit on a heating pad because my huge butt was savagely spanked the hole trail ride. lol

At any rate, I did have fun, I learned even more that not taking any of Fritz's crap is only going to help me in the long run, so I didn't let him get away with a whole lot. I did implement the whole lean forward for going up hills, and back for going down them. And, I really did enjoy myself.

Next time we'll take a longer trail ride, and I am going to try out a different horse, one that I've ridden before, but just around the arena.

Thanks all for the wonderful advice!

free_sprtd 09-24-2008 10:11 PM

awwwwwwwwwww yay that it was fun!!!! sorry it wasn't the best experience, but it will only make you look forward to the next adventure!

PoptartShop 09-25-2008 06:02 AM

Aw, sorry it was rough; I hope your next one is better! :D That's good that you were relaxed & not tense, though!

Moxie 09-25-2008 10:28 AM

YUP! I have to hand it to myself, I was relaxed and handled things well, as far as I'm concerned. I am pretty proud of myself. :D

Maybe next week we'll try to do another, my husband wanted to go, but wasn't able to due to his last shooting competition was yesterday.

kickshaw 09-25-2008 10:52 AM

Way to go Mox!

I bet he'll be a lot better for you next time :)

Moxie 09-25-2008 11:41 AM

I hope so. If I DO decide to buy him, the first two things I am going to do is put a more aggressive bit in his mouth, and put 30 days on him. He really is a lovely horse, just too much attitude.

Gingerrrrr 09-25-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie
I hope so. If I DO decide to buy him, the first two things I am going to do is put a more aggressive bit in his mouth, and put 30 days on him. He really is a lovely horse, just too much attitude.

i thought he was sold.

dame_wolf 09-25-2008 06:42 PM

I'm glad you had fun! Bet next time he'll be better for you.

Moxie 09-25-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerrrrr
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moxie

i thought he was sold.

Nope, she was rattled after he threw a buck with her on him. She has her eye on a MUCH nicer QH gelding who used to be a show horse. I've ridden this horse before and he's smooooooooooooth like butter.

On a side note, I have another trail ride next tuesday this way my husband is able to come along.

Zab 10-04-2008 05:39 PM

Glad to hear it went okay and that you managed to stay calm :)