The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   electrobraid horse fencing? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/electrobraid-horse-fencing-151669/)

horsecrazygirl13 01-29-2013 02:48 PM

electrobraid horse fencing?

Has any one tried this type of fencing before? does it work and is the visibility better than just plain wire? does it work the same way as wire?

Cruiser 01-29-2013 04:23 PM

Lots of people use it where I am (the maker is local so maybe the reason). It appears very visible, strong and carrys a charge good. I'll be honest though it doesn't work better or worst the cheaper brands out there, but some people need the brand.

RitzieAnn 01-29-2013 06:22 PM

I just bought this stuff:

Powerfields 9 Wire HD Polywire - Horse.com

I like it. It's a little thicker than the stuff I had before, and it tensions really nicely. It's also thin enough that it's very easy to work with. I have one fence that I didn't want to put a bunch of gate handles on, but didn't want it solid either, as it's an exit (seldomly used) from the back side of our property, but right by the house, so I used plastic ring insulators, and tied a loop in the end of each strand. I'm about to go order more :)

PaintHorseMares 01-29-2013 08:12 PM

Many companies make 1/4" electric polyrope, and we've used it for years with no problems at all. If your horse(s) respect electric, you can get by with one strand at 3' (chest high) with posts 30' apart. Our mares will graze all the way to it, but never mess with it. It's inexpensive, quick to install, and easy to repair. Just like HT wire, fallen branches, etc. will just weight it down, so you just need to remove them at it springs right back.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-d...0/IMG_0676.JPG

horsecrazygirl13 01-29-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitzieAnn (Post 1868705)
I just bought this stuff:

Powerfields 9 Wire HD Polywire - Horse.com

I like it. It's a little thicker than the stuff I had before, and it tensions really nicely. It's also thin enough that it's very easy to work with. I have one fence that I didn't want to put a bunch of gate handles on, but didn't want it solid either, as it's an exit (seldomly used) from the back side of our property, but right by the house, so I used plastic ring insulators, and tied a loop in the end of each strand. I'm about to go order more :)

Wow! It's way cheaper than the electrobraid!:shock: I should try this stuff out. My horse respects electric fences but He's used to plain wire. Can you use this together with wire? I mean, put this as the top strand and add plain wire underneath? and do you have to melt the ends to prevent fraying? How do you attach it to the charger?
Thanks!:D

GhostwindAppaloosa 01-29-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 1868881)
Wow! It's way cheaper than the electrobraid!:shock: I should try this stuff out. My horse respects electric fences but He's used to plain wire. Can you use this together with wire? I mean, put this as the top strand and add plain wire underneath? and do you have to melt the ends to prevent fraying? How do you attach it to the charger?
Thanks!:D

we've tried using that just to partition off pastures. does NOT shock very well. Our horses push right through it.

Electrobraid is worth the money. the savings alone in post spacing (you can go up to 150ft on flat ground will save you money. We just redid our whole property in it.

horsecrazygirl13 01-29-2013 10:21 PM

Ok I see. But isnt there any thing cheaper than electrobraid that works?:?

RitzieAnn 01-29-2013 11:10 PM

I've got 3 horses & a goat that stay in that stuff. I've been hit by it. It has a good kick, I think. Goats, as a general, need very solid fencing. Charlie stays in 2 strands of this stuff strung across temporary posts.

The horses are 9, 6 & 4. I've had them in this type of fence material for just over 3 years. I really like it.

It connects to the fencer just as metal wire would. I do use a metal strand from the fencer to my ground post though.

It would be easy to alternate the polywire & metal wire, but I wouldn't think it necessary.
Posted via Mobile Device

Eolith 01-30-2013 02:15 AM

If you're thinking of getting Electrobraid and looking for a good deal, you'd do well to act fast on this one:

Electric Horse Fencing | ElectroBraid 1000 Foot Roll

This is a significantly lower price for the 1000 foot roll than anywhere else I've seen, but I think it's only a limited time offer.

PaintHorseMares 01-30-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 1869080)
Ok I see. But isnt there any thing cheaper than electrobraid that works?:?

This is typically what we use from TSC ZarebaŽ 200 Meter 6 Strand Polyrope - 1027627 | Tractor Supply Company