The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Progress on My Naughty Mar ivy :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/progress-my-naughty-mar-ivy-151711/)

horsegirlalex 01-29-2013 07:56 PM

Progress on My Naughty Mar ivy :)

1 Attachment(s)
so i decided that i would make a thread dedicated to My mare ivy's attitude, and how i am working towards getting her full respect !
For those of you that read my last thread on her and our issues, this is just an update on our decision to start over and what we have done so far :)
For those that are JUST getting here, if you would like to see the back story on what happened, then just visit my profile and find it :) "A horse that is just Naughty?"

I decided to make this thread because i can always use new advice, and new methods of training, and i would love it if i could get some feedback from you guys :)

so from sunday through today, we have been working strictly on ground manners:) we have been leading, keeping her walking behind me (not in front at all ), sensitizing and desensitizing her to the lead and my hand commands, lunging, trotting at the lead, having her follow me, and just plain old respect.

i haven't let her get away with anything so far, whenever she does the opposite of what i ask, i will bump her lead and back her up to where she should be, then do the task again untill she gets it, the praise when she does! If she is at all agressive, i will give her a hard smack in the butt or neck to get her to pay attention, the do it again.

she has not been allowed to rush through gates, out of the barn, out of the arena, or anything. she is made to go righttt back through properly if she does try to push my buttons. ALSO i have had her stay at least a few paces behind me at all times while walking, stay out of my space, to look ahead, and stop on command. i am honestly very proud of her, she has done very well at learning to respect me more:)

lastly we have learned to stand still (no crossties) if i walk away, and are curently trying to bow hahaha:)

throughout this i have been reallly strict, and not let her get away with anything, so she might not be too fond of me at the moment hahaha:) but tommorow i want to give her a day off, like get her out and do something just fun ya know? any suggestions?:)

Attachment 127488

palogal 01-29-2013 09:36 PM

What kind of ground work are you doing with her?

LisaG 01-29-2013 09:40 PM

Don't feel bad, and don't worry about giving her a day off as a treat. Horses like strong (but fair) leaders. She is probably glad that you're taking over as herd boss (and if she's not, she can suck it up).

You can certainly do something fun, but just make sure you remain the herd boss.

Good luck and keep it up!

aerie 01-29-2013 09:53 PM

I think one of the best things you can do to "just have fun" is just go out to the barn and groom her, love on her, and just hang out. You can still be the boss around her, but let her know that not every time you come it isn't to work! I found some of the times my old horse truly respected and bonded with me was when I was just grooming and loving on him :-)

horsegirlalex 01-29-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 1869111)
What kind of ground work are you doing with her?

i would call it more of a simple ground work kinda thing, i am more looking just to gain her respect as a leader:) so lots of just leading her around, but having her always be a few steps behind me, looking forward, and not up on me, stop on command ( she is normally very bad with these things due to lack of respect )
also lunging.
trotting at the lead
changing direction without my leading while lunging
that sort of thing:)

horsegirlalex 01-29-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerie (Post 1869149)
I think one of the best things you can do to "just have fun" is just go out to the barn and groom her, love on her, and just hang out. You can still be the boss around her, but let her know that not every time you come it isn't to work! I found some of the times my old horse truly respected and bonded with me was when I was just grooming and loving on him :-)

thanks! i think that is what i'm gonna do tommorow:) and i feel the same way, riding the lesson horses as a kid, grooming was always alot of fun to me! and it has to be the same for a horse:)

Thunderspark 01-30-2013 12:40 AM

I will quite often bring my horses out one at a time (I have 4 and 1 boarded) to just groom, pick their feet and while I am doing that I give them a little treat of alfalfa. If they move around or pull their foot away while cleaning I will reprimand them by making them move by lunging them on the lead.......I can't say that I have had to reprimand them though.....they are enjoying the alfalfa and scratching too much......