The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse tail (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-tail-151729/)

Chubbyandbailey 01-29-2013 11:06 PM

Horse tail

My horse naturally holds his tail out. Obviously, this isn't very attractive if you are showing. I show AQHA, so weighted tail extensions are not an option. I currently have a 1/2 lb tail, but I will most likely get a 1 lb tail for this year. My horse still holds his tail out when he has his tail extension in, but if I move up to the 1 lb, do you think it would help? Or is there any way to keep his tail down, or almost 'train it' to stay down? And no, I will NOT inject anything into my horses tail bone.

AQHAprincess999 02-14-2013 03:17 PM

Hey I show AQHA too! What's your number? Maybe I've seen you at shows!

SlideStop 02-14-2013 03:32 PM

What does "out" mean? Do you have pic?
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHAprincess999 02-14-2013 07:07 PM

I think I

AQHAprincess999 02-14-2013 07:10 PM

whoops. posted on accident. i meant to say:
i think i know what you mean. your horses tail stays up and u want it down right? if its what i think then you just listed the only two options. weighted tail extensions and fillers. a pound tale could help a little but not much probably. a lot of other breeds of horse like arab and thoroughbred do that too but not many qh and stock horses that i know of do. its probably something u will just have to deal with, it shouldnt affect your placing anyways.

SlideStop 02-14-2013 08:39 PM

Many horses "pick up/stick out their tail" when working. Its totally normal, not sure why you would want it to be straight down.
Posted via Mobile Device

GamingGrrl 02-14-2013 09:25 PM

I appreciate a horse with outwards tail carriage. I hate the dead fish limp look. It's common and I highly doubt you'll be marked for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

AQHAprincess999 02-15-2013 10:08 AM

The only way you can solve that problem is by cutting the tail nerves which is incredibly in humane and Renaults in that you will have to deal with it. The more weight he extension you Put in the more stress goes on his hindquarters when he is trying to compensate Movment for holding such a heavy uncomfortable tail.