The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Tennessee Walker Crosses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/tennessee-walker-crosses-15176/)

Angilina 09-25-2008 01:10 AM

Tennessee Walker Crosses?

I am considering (far in the future!) crossing my filly and/or newest mare with another breed. The filly (Boss) seems to be turning out to be a thick bodied, refined head and neck, nice medium legs and great mover. The mare (Harper) is TALL at 17.2hh, willowy, long legs, long body, long head, long neck, and drop dead gorgeous except for her chest which needs a little bit of improving in the next generation. The reason I am looking outside the breed is because I cannot find a stallion that I think could improve on them within this breed. I love Walkers, but sometimes you have to bring in something else to help a bit.

I've heard of Tennuvians (not interested) Walkaloosas (mildly interested) Friewalkers (very interested) and American Walking Ponies (these two will be too tall for them).

Do you know of any others? For Boss I am open to most anything, but for Harper I have a particular specialty in mind. She is an amazing jumper and possibly dressage horse, this is why I am looking into Friesians. Any recommendations? What are your experiences with Walker crosses?

Thanks!

kickshaw 09-25-2008 09:55 AM

In any of your crosses, you run the risk of "no trot" - - I'd probably cross with something that possesses all of the qualities you would want in a dressage horse - quality of stride being very, very important.

Friesians are beautiful, but their stud fees are generally high for a quality stud, and I'm not so sure they readily breed to "outsiders" if you know what I mean ;)

Good Luck :)

My2Geldings 09-25-2008 12:25 PM

I sold 2 registered spotted drafts to this guy who breeds tenesse/draft crosses. An interesting mix to say the list. Mainly spotted drafts is what he crossed them with but he also tried to buy my mare (I THINK NOT! :lol: )

I could try to find his number. I'm located in Calgary.