The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Moving from NY to NC with my Herd.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/moving-ny-nc-my-herd-151780/)

eelllsey 01-30-2013 01:16 PM

Moving from NY to NC with my Herd..

Hi Everyone, I am hoping an experienced horse-person can give me some advice on how to move my 4 ponies, 1 quarter horse and 1 donkey from NY to an area close to Willimington, NC. I am worried about their nutrition, acclimating to the new farm and their travel. I would like to ship them all at once. Anyone recomend a shipping company? I worry about the native animals.. I just read an article that poisionous snakes carry EEE. I know I have to do a Coggins on each one prior to travel, any other vaccines I should give?

leapoffaithfarm 01-30-2013 01:39 PM

Welcome to my neck of the woods, we are about 2 hours from Wilmington.
When i moved my gals from Ohio to here in NC i made sure that they where updated on their shots and also i had the farrier visit right before we left, this way i had some time to find me one here. Also i picked up about 1 month worth of the feed that they had there, just in case i was not able to get the same thing here and i also picked up 1 month worth of hay so that i could keep them on the same hay and gradually get them used to the hay here.
My guys are in a 20 acre pasture that is surrounded by 150 acres of woods and i have had no issues with snakes in the 5 years that i have lived here and rented my pasture.
Not able to recommend a shipper as I shipped my gals myself.
Hope that you enjoy NC :-)

PaintHorseMares 01-30-2013 02:43 PM

Welcome to NC. We're west of RDU about 3 hours from Wilmington. You shouldn't need to worry about any native wildlife and I've never even seen a snake in our pasture. I would call a vet about the vaccines that may be specific to coastal areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

csimkunas6 01-31-2013 01:50 PM

Welcome to NC!!! I am 40min South of you! I am in the same boat as you as far as moving goes, but I am going from NC to WV! haha Good Luck with everything! Your best bet, imo, is to go to movemyhorse.com. Fill out the info there, and you will have several quotes emailed to you, or some even give you a call. Thats where I have always found my horse transporter before!