The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   5lbs change balance? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/5lbs-change-balance-151787/)

TheLauren 01-30-2013 01:46 PM

5lbs change balance?

Hello everyone!!

I have recently started my lifestyle change, and I have lost 35 lbs since December 1st.

I feel wonderful, and lighter, and more flexible. But my riding seems to be suffering!!!

I couldn't ride for 2 weeks due to vacation, and when I came back I was 5lbs lighter. And when I got on the horse my balance and timing was all off! Was this due to the weight loss?

Will I be having to adjust my riding every time my weight takes a drop? Obviously I won't stop losing weight, I just want to know if this is something I should prepare for.

QuietHeartHorses 02-03-2013 04:20 AM

You know, now that I think of it, that might be my problem! I too have been losing weight recently and I just rode a few days ago for the first time in 2 weeks and everything is just off! Posting was strange, I kept rising too far forward, almost to my horse's neck! It didn't help that he was hot under the collar to get to work. He is always like that when we go a few weeks without riding. Maybe it's a combination of both. :-P

Definitely doing more research on this.

Freyannia 02-03-2013 08:08 AM

I would say yes, it also would depend on where on your body the most weight has been lost for example if you have lost most weight from your backside then it wouldn't effect your balance on the horse as much as if most of your weight loss was from your face, shoulders, arms and back. It is just a case of re adjustment, a little bit of time and your balance will be regained... Well done on the weight loss xx hope this was helpful xx

clairegillies 02-03-2013 09:15 AM

thats very interesting, I wonder too if your different shape sits differently in the saddle.

Claire

BennysLace 02-03-2013 01:09 PM

The posting makes sense, I mean your body and muscles are used to having use more force for posting you loose weight your still using the same amount of force you will have to figure out the new amount of force it will take along with the natural lift of the horses movement.

Saddlebag 02-03-2013 03:33 PM

I can't see 5 lbs making a diff unless you're 5 feet tall. The absence from riding would make a difference as the muscles you use have slacked off a bit.