The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Thoroughbred/appy cross ..jumper or speed horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/thoroughbred-appy-cross-jumper-speed-horse-151793/)

pandora1121 01-30-2013 03:56 PM

Thoroughbred/appy cross ..jumper or speed horse?

1 Attachment(s)
This is pandora .. shes my speed horse a 9 year old appaloose crossed with what we assume is tb by conformation and the way she runs .. she is also my english jumper pleasure and reining horse. I am no good with conformation so if anyone has any info on it take a look at her.. i sorta want to kno if she looks liek she would be a good jumper or speed she does REALLY well at both she also makes a fanstasic reiner ive had her for 2 years and i also want to kno if anyone else aggrees with the thoroughbred in her gentics much appreciated ..thankx

natisha 01-30-2013 04:14 PM

I'd say if she already does those things well that she is suited for it, regardless of breed.
She's pretty.
You're brave to set your saddle on a water tank.:-)

pandora1121 01-30-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1869977)
I'd say if she already does those things well that she is suited for it, regardless of breed.
She's pretty.
You're brave to set your saddle on a water tank.:-)

haahaha thats her hay feeder lolll if i put it on her water to spite me shed knock it into it xd oh u should see her in the summer but thank you. and i jsut want to kno if shes conformationaly fit to do speed alot of ppl say shes not that herlegs are all wrong i say ha ur just jealous cuz shes a good girl ahah she dont beat thembut shes a **** good horse

Nokotaheaven 01-30-2013 05:43 PM

She looks like the appy mare I have in my barn on here!

pandora1121 01-30-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1870124)
She looks like the appy mare I have in my barn on here!

idlvoe to post it but icant get it toload grrr but u can really see the thorobred in her when shes not FLUFFFY xd slouching lol and in mud .. lol i swear she slouches.. lazy loll fr a good show horse in her off times shes a fat lazy 15.3 hh red and white cow

Elana 01-30-2013 08:17 PM

I wish you had a better photo or photos.

From what I see she has a low neck set and a steep shoulder. Her point of shoulder is a bit low and the angle from point of shoulder to elbow is a bet flat. She has not been ridden in a manner to help what appears to be a longish and weak back. Her neck is decidedly NOT turned over with weak muscles along the crest and a very large muscle mass alon the lower part of the neck above the jugular groove.

This tells me she travels with her head a bit high and her back hollow (probably from speed events). She may walk the slide/stop in reining.. but she would do much better if she was on the bit and developed her abdominal muscles and the muscles along the crest of her neck. This would indicate she is working off her hind quarters instead of working front to back (which her musculature indicates to me she is doing).

I might change my opinion on this with better photos.. but the neck muscles do not lie!

I do not see much Thoroughbred there at all. I see Quarterhorse more than Thoroughbred.

Elana 01-30-2013 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
to emphasize what I am saying, I have outlined the over developed neck muscle in red. The underdeveloped neck muscles are outlined in blue (so under developed the musle actually disapears into the neck structure toward the shoulder).

pandora1121 01-30-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elana (Post 1870401)
I wish you had a better photo or photos.

From what I see she has a low neck set and a steep shoulder. Her point of shoulder is a bit low and the angle from point of shoulder to elbow is a bet flat. She has not been ridden in a manner to help what appears to be a longish and weak back. Her neck is decidedly NOT turned over with weak muscles along the crest and a very large muscle mass alon the lower part of the neck above the jugular groove.

This tells me she travels with her head a bit high and her back hollow (probably from speed events). She may walk the slide/stop in reining.. but she would do much better if she was on the bit and developed her abdominal muscles and the muscles along the crest of her neck. This would indicate she is working off her hind quarters instead of working front to back (which her musculature indicates to me she is doing).

I might change my opinion on this with better photos.. but the neck muscles do not lie!

I do not see much Thoroughbred there at all. I see Quarterhorse more than Thoroughbred.

the problem is the photos i have of her normally she has tack on. i prolly should have put her story on here SHE IS A RESCUE. she does ride with her head up we are working to correct that and due to an injury she has lost alot of her muscle tone but ya shes front wheel drive xd it is something we are working to fix but shes been out on injury since august 2012 im just starting to ride her again and this was teh one picture that was taken lately. She WAS trained properly as an english jumper then the owner i got her from was riding her in a saddle that was too tight wayy to hard and wrong they didnt keep up with her training she didnt engage with her hindquarters so as much as id like to take credit it for it, my engagement of speed events has not done anything to her back (note i might sound like i have a pissy tone, i dont i really am gratefull that u mention some of this i just come off pissy sounding cuz i hate talking bout her old owner ) also another thing that i believe has alot to do with teh way she carries herself now is she cannot MENTALLY accept teh bit she was abused with snaffle bit and a hackamore so shes very iffy when i ride her english she puts herself in frame collects engages her hidnquarters and breaks nicely at the poll does everythign i could ask but do to a car accident i was in i cant ride english much anymore my horse and i was hit by a truck years back that killed my horse and messed up my back my drs say i wont be ridign by the time im 20 i wanna prove them wrong but im turning 20 this year and i cant take much more rididng lol and shes blind.. idk if that makes a difference. i am trying to upload more pictures but the last few days internet has been retched. so i do apologize for that i have one i want to post more if you go to my profile on here theres a few more of her and the one which was a summer picture its the full frame u could see all of her it she had a saddle on .. but her back was actually worse shes very hollow idk how to fix that other than i was told collection and lots of back exercises. and apparently asking her to lift her self up with a hoof pick or a nail between the legs on teh girth line.. also can u maybe dumb down some of what u say bout comformation i really dont understand much that car accident did worse on my head then it did to my back lol.. i do understand part of her isnt muscled right but when shes all straitened with reengaging everything and carrying herself correctly is she built ok for speed... also if shes a qh shes awefullly small like width small lolll her fetlocks and neck look more tb to me but that is a really bad picture for it also i apologize fr my lack of grammar and spelling at times im dsylexic and i cant recall my grammar too many knocks to the head

pandora1121 01-31-2013 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
SUCCESS lol this was her in july before she got injured she still didnt have the correct muscle structure that i wnated but i was more workin with her back and her hind end cuz i just figured her neck was a breed thing since noone REALLY knows what she is other than appy, but then again arnt appys mixs of certain breeds like tb qh and i think arab i was told? theres more but those are what i was told i could be wrong feel free to correct me if iam ... politely tho pls so i figure shes just an appy xd but i see tb and this picture is y i see it and everyone else thats seen this one says same thing .. if you want pictures of her pls feel free to email me cuz i cant upload very often cuz of the internet and teh odd weather wevebeen having barrelracer1121@gmail jsut shoot me an email bout it and ill send u pictures when i recieve it or u could jsut wait for my computer not to be mean to me:-)

pandora1121 01-31-2013 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this picture is y we think shes tb mixed this was in july of 12 before she got hurt she was just starting speed wel in compettion anyway she was just starting to put on teh muscle on her hind end and startign to somewhat dehollow her back she rides with her head lower now yes her reins are on teh saddle but pls dont think she doesnt keep her head there anywya lolll that bit had no effect she was lookin at somthin idk what but i wanted them up there so she didnt walk off cuz she drops her head when she goes to walk adn therfor she couldnt, and pls no comments on her weight or the fact that she wasnt heavily muscled conformaition muscle comments liek what are up are ok but idont needanyone tellin me shes skinny cuz shes not, noone here has done it but ppl at the show were like dont u work your horse... like DANG i just freikin got her back to weight we really havnt started putting on muscle yet ... and at the current moment shes gonna go back and be retrained to work of the hind end instead of the front and her headset is being fixed cuz seh blows pleasure all the time doin in she loves her head up for some reasonl.. i ask it low but seh hits canter and she wants it up xd nevercould fix it i wanted her head lower for speed too but nooo she has tohave it her way lol. idk if i mention it yet but pls feel free to email me if u want more pics cuz interwebs blow .. barrelracer1121@gmail thank you