The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mare or gelding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mare-gelding-151811/)

horse happy 01-30-2013 07:08 PM

Mare or gelding?

I'm wondering if I could get some opinions on what they find to be the best horse for trail riding, mares or geldings. I've never thought about it too much but lately I'm wondering if the mare I've had in my life for two years now is just a lot more connected to me than my geldings have ever been because she is a mare or because it is just her personality. Do others see mares as being more bonded to them than geldings? I'm guessing that there are inherent traits that more or less follow along the mare/gelding issue. Maybe I'm opening a can of worms here. Please give me your opinions. Thanks!

BornToRun 01-30-2013 07:13 PM

I'm gonna stay neutral with the genders and say it depends on the horse. Both my gelding and mare do equally as well on the trails. Sometimes they have bad days, but they both have really good days too. I'd say it depends on the horse and the trust they have in their rider.

BarrelBunny 01-30-2013 07:22 PM

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, it is not intended to be in the slightest, but this subject has always irked me. My dad is very opinionated and feels that mares are just not as good as geldings because of ONE mare that we had. That is obviously NOT the case. Yes, some mares can be very "mare-ish" - for lack of a better word - BUT I have known many geldings that act the same way. My answer is this: it all comes down to the individual horse. None are the same. AND it comes down to your personal preference. - that is just my opinion though. :-)

waresbear 01-30-2013 07:25 PM

A properly trained horse is a properly trained horse. Doesn't matter what gender.

WSArabians 01-30-2013 07:43 PM

I have more of a connection with my stallions, actually, but they aren't very "trail friendly". I find them a lot nicer to ride than either mare or geldings, but I only have mares for other riding horses.
Depends on the horses... I've had geldings that I've loved dearly and mares that I've loved dearly and mares and geldings that I'm glad I sold.

Nightside 01-30-2013 07:48 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Nightside 01-30-2013 07:50 PM

After 2 nasty mares and plenty of lovely geldings, I was forever sold on geldings. Until I got the mares I have now. All 3 are total dolls. They have their mare moments but for the most part they seem to mind better. Like WS, I do get along best with stallions but I wouldn't consider them for a ride around the neighborhood. Too many other people wit horses live around me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cruiser 01-30-2013 07:52 PM

I've only bought two mares, I like mares, but won't pass on a good gelding. Almost bought a warmblood gelding until I tried him and he was "off". Also have met geldings that are more mareish than any mare I've met, and it isn't seasonal issue. Same with mares, some are witches.

DraftyAiresMum 01-30-2013 07:55 PM

I prefer geldings, period.

I worked at a Girl Scout horse camp and the horses that were donated for our use were all mares. They were a HUGE pain to deal with in the arena and the trail, especially when they went into season.
Posted via Mobile Device

horse happy 01-30-2013 07:57 PM

I appreciate your honest answers, thanks! It does seem to me that my mare is more sensitive to what I am asking and is more willing. My gelding, which I love dearly, seems to be more stubborn and lazy. He will do what is asked but is hoping that he won't have to work too hard. That was my reason for asking for some opinions.