The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   BAD day need information on property rights (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/bad-day-need-information-property-rights-151834/)

chubbypony 01-30-2013 10:00 PM

BAD day need information on property rights

I dont know where to start, Ive been at work from 11 to 9 and come home to Chaos. Im sorry if some of this doesnt make sense I am very upset and shacking.

A little background on our barn. We rent a 7 stall 2 run in barn and have 7 horses 2 ponies on 13 acre. All are chubby and healthy I keep all vet records and have plenty of hay. Most are rescues and are only ridden lightly.
There is a house on the property that is rented by someone else. I can take videos to prove all of this of course :)

SO the SPCA apparently got a phone call and some photos of our horses out side in the rain from yesterday. All my horses have blankets on and we have a huge run in on the barn and a small run in plus seven stalls. The front field looks gross of course since it has been raining and they run around a lot. That field only has trees and no run in but they go inside at night.
Apparently the SPCA just came on the property and started looking around. The guy who rents the house came out to talk to her and she said she needed to speak to the owners and was he gave her our number.
The older woman living in the house (bless her soul I wish she was my grammy ) called us up right away upset and told us what happened, she is home all the time and said the day before there was a black SUV taking pictures of the horses. So now I dont know what to do. Was the SPCA aloud to just go on the property without the owner consent and look around? I wont know until Friday apparently what they want but im so upset about the whole thing. What should I do I feel like im getting so defense but I cant help it these are my pride and joy. :cry:

Where do I stand or what should I do? Has anyone ever dealt with this before.

chubbypony 01-30-2013 10:10 PM

I live in Pennsylvania I dont know if that matters

waresbear 01-30-2013 10:16 PM

Someone is concerned for your horses, SPCA will check it out and tell them nothing is wrong. If nothing is wrong, you have nothing to worry about. I don't know the laws regarding the SPCA's authority in your area, but I doubt they would overstep their bounds, they know the laws. Best to let them see everything & show them the horses are fine and they can report back to people who were concerned.

chubbypony 01-30-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1870793)
Someone is concerned for your horses, SPCA will check it out and tell them nothing is wrong. If nothing is wrong, you have nothing to worry about. I don't know the laws regarding the SPCA's authority in your area, but I doubt they would overstep their bounds, they know the laws. Best to let them see everything & show them the horses are fine and they can report back to people who were concerned.

Yes, and I have no problem with that but you can not just report healthy looking horses because they are out in the rain. right?

I have no problem with showing the SPCA what our guys look like and everything.

waresbear 01-30-2013 10:22 PM

You can report for whatever you like I suppose, the SPCA is just following up a report of abuse.

Phly 01-30-2013 10:23 PM

People can report what ever they like. SPCA coming out and taking pics may be the last you hear of them. They just need to document that they were there, and as it sounds, everything was Okee dokee. If horses in the rain is illegal, I'm a felon!
Posted via Mobile Device

chubbypony 01-30-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1870806)
You can report for whatever you like I suppose, the SPCA is just following up a report of abuse.

Okay gotcha I dont know this SPCA in particular. The one I know/been to, they need more proof, well at least thats what she told me.

Delfina 01-30-2013 10:28 PM

You can report "several horses wearing blindfolds" to the SPCA...

All that happens is they come out, see that they are healthy, cared for (and wearing FLY MASKS in my case) and close the complaint.

themacpack 01-30-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbypony (Post 1870818)
Okay gotcha I dont know this SPCA in particular. The one I know/been to, they need more proof, well at least thats what she told me.

The point of a site visit/investigation/welfare check IS to get proof (or to show the lack of proof) of any reported concerns. The report does not require proof.

chubbypony 01-30-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1870810)
People can report what ever they like. SPCA coming out and taking pics may be the last you hear of them. They just need to document that they were there, and as it sounds, everything was Okee dokee. If horses in the rain is illegal, I'm a felon!
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL yeh right they are on a semi busy street. My mom said the person most likely knows nothing about horses seeing as they are happier out side then stuck in their stall.