The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   discount for the arena being closed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/discount-arena-being-closed-151882/)

crimsonsky 01-31-2013 01:37 PM

discount for the arena being closed?

i'd love to get people's thoughts on this:

the barn i board at has a relatively brand new arena however the footing was quite deep and uneven. after a few boarders complained that it was unsafe to really ride in the BO decided to do some work to even out the footing and make it not so deep/sandy all over. it was scheduled to take a few days but we were told the arena would be closed for 5 days just in case there were any issues. turns out it took 15 days before the arena was dubbed ready for use. there were mentions made by the BO of a discount on board for the time the arena was unavailable however now that board is due we're not being offered any compensation for the lack of an arena for half a month.

do you think some discount should be offered or should the full amount still be due when people board at this barn to have access to this arena?

Speed Racer 01-31-2013 01:44 PM

Tough call, crimson. If it was mentioned by the BO you could ask about it, but it's not really something I'd expect. They did after all fix the footing, even though it took longer than expected.

leapoffaithfarm 01-31-2013 01:55 PM

I agree i would not expect a discount for the arena being closed. But if does not hurt to ask

crimsonsky 01-31-2013 02:35 PM

if there were other options to ride in (besides the round pen that isn't covered - i live in portland - i pay for a covered arena for a reason! :P) i don't think i would have such an issue. i only get out at night after work during the week when it's dark so i can't just take a ride down the road. if the BO hadn't mentioned there being a discount for board because of the arena being closed i never would have thought about it - but having it be said that there would be one ($25/horse) and then being told that we don't warrant a discount now that the arena is open (if it had been closed longer we would have gotten something...), is a bit disappointing.

i certainly would not have expected a discount for the arena being closed for 5 days as it was originally posted. but three times that is a bit different.

i'd just like to say that otherwise i think this is a fantastic barn and i love what i have there (even though one of the staff is a bit ... overwhelming with her thoughts on things) so this certainly isn't a deal breaker or anything.

DancingArabian 01-31-2013 02:45 PM

You say the arena is new. Did your board increase with the addition of the arena? If not, then no. You're paying the price that was perfectly acceptable before the arena. If you're paying extra, then yes.
Posted via Mobile Device

crimsonsky 01-31-2013 03:06 PM

the arena was put up before they started taking in boarders (to the best of my knowledge). either way, the arena (and pasture turnout) was what prompted me to move my horses to this barn. in fact i've already had my multiple horse discount removed which made a huge difference as well.

kenda 01-31-2013 03:18 PM

Theoretically since the BO did mention a discount based on a 5 day construction time, and then there was a 15 day construction time, yah, she should probably follow through and offer the discount.

On the other hand, if you like the barn you may want to ask yourself whether a $25 savings is worth the tension that bringing it up might create.

crimsonsky 01-31-2013 05:11 PM

there's no point in creating an issue out of it - i just find it a bit disappointing that the discount was mentioned by the BO originally - not asked for by any of the boarders. if she brought it up, i think she should honor it. i have three horses - $75 is a new blanket or a good 200lbs of feed, etc.

franknbeans 01-31-2013 06:43 PM

I would think it is at least worth asking her-since she mentioned it. The worst she can say is "no". But be prepared for that, and take it for what it is worth. Keep your eye on the big picture. Other than 15 days in _____ long, it is a great place. Much more than many folks have.

crimsonsky 02-01-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1872045)
I would think it is at least worth asking her-since she mentioned it. The worst she can say is "no". But be prepared for that, and take it for what it is worth. Keep your eye on the big picture. Other than 15 days in _____ long, it is a great place. Much more than many folks have.

exactly! i asked, they said "no discount unless it was closed longer" so i paid full board price. *shrug* it is what it is and i'm generally happy otherwise.