The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique This Paint Gelding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-paint-gelding-151893/)

ButtInTheDirt 01-31-2013 03:56 PM

Critique This Paint Gelding

3 Attachment(s)
If you've come expecting a majestic tobiano paint then you've been bamboozled, as this one is a solid bay. He's a coming 4y/o 16+ hand no-color Paint who I am training for a friend. He isn't registered, and we could only find his grandsire on allbreedpedigree.com; Western Impress. He is halter bred, which I am not much of a fan of, and he does have quite a few conformational issues. I know he is never going to be used heavily in competition, but I want to know with what is going against him, what can he handle? With him being extra fuzzy it might hide some minor flaws, and I don't have any better pictures that aren't very low quality. (I didn't take any good pictures of him until he got his hooves trimmed for the first time in 2-3 years.) He has very slow gaits, but is very clumsy and will often cross his legs and step on his own heels. He's improved since he's gotten his hooves trimmed, and will stand a bit more square naturally, but still has a ways to go. He is also sort of an airhead, and after a month of working with him I was excited to get a bit of sass from him, rather than find all of that extra zest was stored until I backed him.

So far we've reached lots of goals from saddling to hoof trimming to actually using his brain. He's a pretty nice horse, and I don't think he will ever be a super competitor, but I don't want to push him to do anything in his training that he can't handle. He isn't my horse, so I won't be to offended if you lay it on thick, just don't completely bash him. Yeah, I'm not a fan of bulky halter horses with crooked legs and sensitive feet, but his owner loves him and that is all that really matters. Also, excuse the pic of him post-pooing, I quick snapped a few after he was done but he stood in the same pooing position for five minutes without lowering his tail. :? Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Sahara 01-31-2013 04:43 PM

The only thing that really jumped out at me is that his knees look puffy, especially in the first photo.