The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   What was your worst fall? (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/what-your-worst-fall-151910/)

englishjumper16 01-31-2013 06:31 PM

What was your worst fall?

Well I just want to know what was your worst fall (off a horse) ever! I'll tell you mine. Please no RUDE comments I was pretty young and stupid and I do not need to be insulted. Well it was about 5 years ago I had just started cantering. My friend and me were riding around outside (in the arena) I was showing her how I could canter. (she's like 4 years older than I am) So we started racing not very fast just trotting. The horse I was riding was a older very calm horse and would never hurt anyone on propose. I did a couple laps (of cantering) around the arena than came into the middle and continued with my friend following me. She had a fast horse and was right beside me in seconds. Her horse leaned over and almost bite mine. So my horse gave a kick back and swung around quick and kept on going. She got faster and I was already half off because of when she turned around. I couldn't hold on any longer and I fell off. I landing right on my hip and ending up going to the hospital. I was in crutches for about 2 weeks. Thanks for reading till the end again please no rude comments I was pretty young and stupid! ;)

englishjumper16 01-31-2013 06:32 PM

Oh yeah the rude comments will be reported. I won't do it to you so why do it to me :)

waresbear 01-31-2013 06:42 PM

I have fell off too many times to count, but most of those were when I was younger and did some very goofy things, eg: jump from trees on to our ponies back, sometimes we'd miss! I also worked for a stable that used to buy & sell horses, I was one of "riders", the trainer & his daughter had one of us teens mount the crazies & they would give us instruction, I really don't know how I wasn't killed. But the worst fall of all was 15 years ago, I was riding my show mare, very well trained horse, up my gravel road. I was galloping her as I had done many times, I think one of my dogs came up behind her, as they had done many time before, but her being a mare, at this particular time, decided she didn't like that. She bucked as hard as she could at a gallop, I recovered but she had slowed & fired again & I went over her head & landed on the road, head first. Yup, had on my helmet & it saved. I had 2 blacks & minor whiplash. I did get right back on the horse, but I was bleeding from the forehead & mouth as I bite my tongue. My son saw me as he was riding his bike, he made me go to the neighbor's & neighbor lady freaked & took me to the hospital.

englishjumper16 02-01-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1872044)
I have fell off too many times to count, but most of those were when I was younger and did some very goofy things, eg: jump from trees on to our ponies back, sometimes we'd miss! I also worked for a stable that used to buy & sell horses, I was one of "riders", the trainer & his daughter had one of us teens mount the crazies & they would give us instruction, I really don't know how I wasn't killed. But the worst fall of all was 15 years ago, I was riding my show mare, very well trained horse, up my gravel road. I was galloping her as I had done many times, I think one of my dogs came up behind her, as they had done many time before, but her being a mare, at this particular time, decided she didn't like that. She bucked as hard as she could at a gallop, I recovered but she had slowed & fired again & I went over her head & landed on the road, head first. Yup, had on my helmet & it saved. I had 2 blacks & minor whiplash. I did get right back on the horse, but I was bleeding from the forehead & mouth as I bite my tongue. My son saw me as he was riding his bike, he made me go to the neighbor's & neighbor lady freaked & took me to the hospital.

That scary! Thank The Lord your okay!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lis 02-01-2013 09:26 AM

I've got two falls which are contending with each other for the title of my worst fall.

The first one was about 6 years ago and I was having a jump lesson. The pony I was riding was a known bucker, my instructor told me the first time I rode him he had bucked her off three times and he had me off that lesson as well. In this lesson he was bolting and bucking after the jump every time. I was able to bring him back everytime until the last time he did and I lost control of him completely then he put in a massive buck and I somersaulted over the top of him and slammed into the ground hard. I was in pain straight but carried on with the lesson once they brought up their old steady eddie mare but I couldn't use my left arm and my instructor laughed about the fact I couldn't even hold her steady into the fence. After a couple of days I went to hospital because I was still in pain and couldn't move my left arm. It took three weeks and several x rays for the damage to show up. I'd cracked my shoulder blade, possibly a rib or two underneath my shoulder blade and torn the muscles in that side of my back. It took six weeks for the bones to heal then a lot of physio for the muscles. Because I didn't really do my physio properly, I was young and stupid, the muscles are very stiff still in that shoulder and I have a lump of scar tissue where the muscles knotted back wrong that is visible with the naked eye and can be felt very clearly.

The second one I'm still recovering from. A friend and I borrowed a couple of horses from work and went out hacking after work. The first part was fine, walked and trotted with no issues, went past other horses fine and the mare never looked at Rudolph, the fake reindeer we had out for Christmas. Then when we came onto the canter stretch everything was fine until I asked for canter and she promptly put in a big buck and decked me. Me being me I got back on, my friend went in front to see if that was the issue and we tried again and I ended up on the floor for the second time. After that we just walked and she tried three more times to have me off including one time when I was walking next to her because she'd bucked at the bottom of the hill and due to the rockiness of the hill I didn't want to risk another fall. Felt fine, even went out for another hack once we'd got back. I was sore the next day but no alarm bells went off. The second day I got up and my right leg promptly went from underneath me so I made the decision to go to hospital because I couldn't put any weight on it. Turns out I've damaged the ligaments and the deep muscles in my right hip so I've been very drugged up and on crutches for the past two months. I've only just come off them and I'm still limping slightly and it still hurts. Hopefully if all goes well in these next two weeks I'll be back at work but it will be a while before I'm back up to full duties again.

faye 02-01-2013 09:32 AM

I'll tell you my 2 worst as I'm not sure which one I concider worst.

1) I was schooling an RDA horse in its home arena. I dont actualy remember much of the fall but my mum who was watching has told me what happened. I came out of a corner in shoulder in (that is the last thing I remember) and the horse bolted. He attempted to jump the arena fence and didnt make the top bar, resulting in him summersaulting. Unfortunatly it is the only time my superglu bum has ever gotten me in trouble as apparently I stayed on him and ended up under him. He scrabbled around on top of me whilst trying to get up and either stood on or kicked my head (we are not sure which but there is a very deffinate hoof print on the hat). I was unconcious for close on 20 mins, I was taken by air ambulance to A&E with a suspected broken neck, I spent the entire evening being scanned from head to foot, had a very nasty gravel rash on my arm cleaned out but was finaly allowed to go home having crushed 2 discs in my lowever back but done no other damage to my spine. I had a monster concussion and the only reason I was allowed home is because my mum is an highly qualified nurse and was able to keep an eye on me.
My helmet saved my life.

2) Was the first time I attempted to ride Reeco at a show, I was stupid and he wasnt ready. I went to get on him and as I swang my leg over his back he freaked and bolted whilst bronking. I hit the deck hard on the top of my head and summersaulted over, resulting in anouther horrible crunching sound from my neck and me fainting. I came round within a minute though but it resulted in anouther helicopter trip to A&E!!

dashygirl 02-01-2013 10:15 AM

I was cantering circles in a freshly watered-down arena (it was in AZ during the summer...the arenas got watered several times daily to prevent dust) and my horse slipped and fell while taking a corner, landing on my left leg. Fortunately I didn't break anything but I had deep muscle bruising. To this day I still have a slight indent in the muscle on my left calf.

Looking back at this I realize how much worse it could have been for both me and my horse, as she didn't get hurt at all.

dashygirl 02-01-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 1872804)

2) Was the first time I attempted to ride Reeco at a show, I was stupid and he wasnt ready. I went to get on him and as I swang my leg over his back he freaked and bolted whilst bronking. I hit the deck hard on the top of my head and summersaulted over, resulting in anouther horrible crunching sound from my neck and me fainting. I came round within a minute though but it resulted in anouther helicopter trip to A&E!!

How lucky you are that you didn't break your neck!!!!

jumanji321 02-02-2013 03:57 PM

I was riding my then 3 year old horse and she decided to just randomly buck and ended up throwing me in to a big metal door. I bounced off the door and off of her rump before hitting the dirt. I haven't been seriously hurt riding yet though. My most serious injury involving horses was my dislocated hip after I got kicked in the back by a particularly mean horse.