The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   weird skin under jaw? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weird-skin-under-jaw-151913/)

Natbos 01-31-2013 07:15 PM

weird skin under jaw?

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this under his jaw today, not sure what it is? anyone seen anything like this before?
Attachment 127788

Attachment 127787

Spotted 01-31-2013 07:23 PM

Nope, looks like he hurt himself and is healing.

smrobs 01-31-2013 07:23 PM

Is there any heat on that skin? Has the horse acted lethargic or had a snotty nose in the last few days?

Honestly, it looks to me like a case of strangles that just hasn't ruptured yet. I would get the vet out ASAP to find out for sure and quarantine the horse in the meantime just in case.

Natbos 01-31-2013 08:58 PM

No i didn't feel any heat that i noticed, He always acts Lazy, but no he is not acting any different then usual, And no overly excessive snotty nose, no more then usual.
I don't know much about strangles.....but he has not been around any other horses except my mare for the last 2 month...
On another note he loves to be scratched under his chin and jaw. and i often see him out there scratching under his jaw on our post and anything else he can get to.... he also is blue eyed and so we keep a fly mask on him most all of the time, he hates it and i see him out there all the time trying to scratch the underneath to get it ripped off.....
It looks so weird and i honestly don't think i'v ever seen something like it, at first i thought scare but it is pretty big about 3/4-1 inch wide by like 4/5 inches long and i would hope that we would have noticed a gash that big.
Any other ideas,,,,

SaddleOnline 02-01-2013 12:42 PM

It does look kind of like a wound that is healing, like maybe he skinned himself while scratching on something....I would keep a very close eye on it and if it shows any signs of heat or goop get a vet out to take a look. Does he have a normal temp?

Fulford15 02-01-2013 12:50 PM

Like above posted, looks like a scab healing.

Natbos 02-01-2013 01:11 PM

No i have not taken his temp....