The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse sets back on pasterns at canter- what does that mean? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-sets-back-pasterns-canter-what-151918/)

eeo11horse 01-31-2013 07:40 PM

Horse sets back on pasterns at canter- what does that mean?

2 Attachment(s)
So I was looking at some pictures of me riding my horse at the canter, and I noticed that when he puts weight on a certain leg his pasterns go down and it looks like his fetlocks are almost touching the ground! You're probably thinking that it's because he has long/ weak pasterns, (that was what first came to my mind) but I realized that's not the case- his pasterns are normal length. I measured them once and they were fine. So what else could it be? Would protective leg wear help? I really have no idea.

tinyliny 01-31-2013 09:31 PM

could you post some pictures of him just standing? That does seem like quite a drop. I am curious to know , too

hemms 01-31-2013 09:33 PM

You're right - it sure stands out! What's his breed, age and history?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 01-31-2013 09:54 PM

That does seem like an awfully big drop for a horse with healthy legs and pasterns that aren't too long, especially just at a lope.

I, too, would like to see some pictures of him just standing.

Sunny 01-31-2013 10:54 PM

Subbing!

Muppetgirl 01-31-2013 10:56 PM

Wow, your horse has a massive shoulder, was so busy ogling his pasterns I missed his shoulder!:-)

EthanQ 01-31-2013 10:57 PM

Have a farrier check his hooves. Sometime a collapsed or run down heel caused the pasterns to bend more as the hoof doesn't place perfectly.

existentialpony 01-31-2013 11:31 PM

I would have someone trot him away from you-- do his fetlocks hit the ground from behind? Does he have any fetlock swelling or enlargement? Are all fetlocks equally affected?

I would have a vet come out and check his suspensory ligaments if you're nervous. If you don't know his lineage, DSLD may be possible-- but not to scare you or anything. I'm not a vet, just a chick on a forum. ;)

existentialpony 01-31-2013 11:36 PM

If you want to do *something* to give him support and protect his suspensory ligaments, iconoclast make these great (however expensive) boots that wrap under the fetlock and pull up.

Iconoclast Orthopedic Sport Boots

~*~anebel~*~ 01-31-2013 11:51 PM

A piece of neoprene is never going to support the weight of a 1200lb animal bearing down on it. Ever. It's just plain science/physics.

If you are really concerned, it's no harm to ask a vet. There are some degenerative diseases where the ligaments in the leg get weak and the pasterns sag.

Good luck!