The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Witch Hazel (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/witch-hazel-151920/)

alexischristina 01-31-2013 08:52 PM

Witch Hazel

I just bought a big jug of it as my coach used it all last season under her standing wraps to alleviate inflammation / soreness, but I've been reading up and some people say they will also spray it under their saddle pads before a ride (it helps their horses muscles loosen up) and all over after a ride, to help increase circulation and decrease muscle soreness.

Has anybody personally used it for any of the above? I can't find any 'in depth' information on it.

Lexiie 01-31-2013 08:57 PM

Subbing! Sounds kinda cool.

Maybe less harsh than absorbine?

alexischristina 01-31-2013 08:59 PM

That's what I've heard. People have talked about using it on horses with sensitive skin, as it wont blister / cause harsh reactions.

I personally think it smells lovely too, so that's a plus.

Lexiie 01-31-2013 09:06 PM

I was thinking that!

I would use that in colder weather after a hard ride, because absorbine is cooling

walkinthewalk 01-31-2013 09:24 PM

I can't speak directly to your question but Witch Hazel is what the vet recommended to clean my horse's ears with when he got bit up on the insides.

He loved having his ears wiped with that very cheap Witch Hazel:D

After which, I would put the very expensive Dermalog:-( in those ears to heal the bug bites.

alexischristina 01-31-2013 09:35 PM

I'm starting to wish I'd just bought drug store stuff, the 'equine solution' has the alcohol mixed in and smells a bit worse, blech, but oh well.

I've also read that it's the base for a lot of homemade fly sprays.

Chevaux 01-31-2013 09:46 PM

I have used witch hazel on me to reduce the itchiness of insect bites and my husband has used it for the occasional sore muscle. I believe it to be relatively inoffensive as astringents go.

hberrie 01-31-2013 09:50 PM

I hate the smell of witch hazel, but it does work nice on itches and irritations. Cheap and versatile!

Muppetgirl 01-31-2013 09:51 PM

I use it as a toner on my face! It works as a cleanser too!!

alexischristina 02-01-2013 01:43 AM

Hberrie, you're crazy, pure Witch Hazel smells lovely :lol: but maybe that's just me... but like I said, the stuff I bought with the alcohol mix? YUCK. Oh well, everywhere else tells me to mix it with alcohol anyway so I guess I'm stuck with the yuck smell...