The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Mane pulling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mane-pulling-151921/)

Lexiie 01-31-2013 08:03 PM

Mane pulling

1 Attachment(s)
So, my mare's mane is already pretty short (below) but not really show length short (hunter braids)

I can tell she dislikes having her mane pulled, not ridiculously, but she doesn't enjoy it.

Is there anyway I can make it a little less uncomfortable for her?

Lexiie 01-31-2013 08:03 PM

It's actually two or three inches longer than that now

Muppetgirl 01-31-2013 08:30 PM

Well, what I do if they're looking a little uncomfortable is pull it out real fast and in smaller pieces.....I also thin it first by making sure the mane is dirty and unbrushed and I pull a REALLY blunt comb (in NZ I'd use an old sheep shearing comb with the long outside blades broken off) and pull it through the mane from the UNDERSIDE down....this thins it before I pull then I don't have so much to pull out.......mane pulling and doing it properly seems to be something that is a dying art, so many people just use a blunt comb and cut and it looks very thick and unnatural.......

Also, leave the wither area until last, as it seems to be the worst spot, OR use some clippers and trim down the first three or four inches:-)

Hope that helped:-)

PunksTank 01-31-2013 09:09 PM

I've never tried - I've only pulled a few manes in my life - but I'm picturing it much like if I had to pull my own hair (but a little less extreme). I think rubbing and tapping the area, warming it up would help a lot. Like when you pluck your eye brows, rubbing it first makes it hurt a little less.

Lexiie 01-31-2013 09:17 PM

The hair around her withers his very thin, and goes to the left. So i just clip it off.

I'll never use scissors again. Ever!

I haven't brushed her mane in a while, so I think what you said will work pretty well. It's not super thick, but could definitely be thinner.
If there's a thick spot in her mane, should i get that down to the average thickness first, and then do the rest?

Muppetgirl 01-31-2013 09:21 PM

Yes, thin it from the thickest part first, and once it's thinned then it's just a matter of grabbing the longest pieces first with your fingertips, sliding the extra hair up and away with a comb and then pulling those long pieces out. Now remember not to thin it too much as you will be thinning as you pull also, although you won't have so much to pull. And work from under the mane to create a natural look;)
Good luck:)

Lexiie 01-31-2013 10:07 PM

Thanks!!

littleredridinghood 01-31-2013 10:15 PM

My horse HATES when I pull his mane. I take the blade off the clippers and do the "pulling" with that. He doesn't mind it at all and it looks the same as when I do pull it

Foxhunter 02-01-2013 01:15 PM

Best to pull the mane when the horse is warm, after exercise.

I always use a dog comb with a handle.
The art is to push the hair to the crest, twist it around the comb and then exert even pressure until the horse releases the hair. Make sure you do not have to much hair to pull at the same time.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...airtocrest.jpg

Finish off with pulling any straggly hairs with your fingers.

The art is to allow the horse to release the hair, it takes a while to learn how but, once you learn it then you can pull most manes without even having them tied up.

I will only ever use a blade on a mane that is very thin and then I use a serrated edged knife.

SaddleOnline 02-01-2013 02:04 PM

Always make sure the chunks you are pulling are not too big! Smaller chunks is better,I also find that it is easier on the horse to do a bit from here and there rather than say start at the poll and work your way down. Another good idea is to do a little each day, make it part of your grooming routine so that is itsn't a huge big deal when it comes time to braid for a show or something. The more it is just an "everyday no big deal" type thing, the more you both will be relaxed and it will go more smoothly. Best of luck!