The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Picking up a New Hobby; Sailing or Skydiving (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/picking-up-new-hobby%3B-sailing-skydiving-151947/)

Ganonman 02-01-2013 04:22 AM

Picking up a New Hobby; Sailing or Skydiving

Hey everybody!
I am currently living in Stockholm, Sweden for the year on exchange and lately I have been thinking of what I want to start doing as a new hobby. I am past my years in Cadets which took up all my time with band practice, going out to the airfield and flying and the weekly mandatory training night. So I am afraid I will get bored and become a couch potato. :lol:

Lately I have been looking around and I have narrowed my choices down to two ideas, I want to do both but I only have enough money for one or the other right away, the other I will have to do after university. So either;
  • Getting my solo Skydiving certification.
  • OR
  • Learn to sail at the local marina

So if anybody out there has any experience with either could give me their opinions that would be great!

Tack så mycket!

P.S. I will still spend lots of time at my stable too xD

wetrain17 02-01-2013 11:23 AM

I don't have any experience in either, but if I had to pick, it would be sailing. I've always wanted to do it and since I'm uncomfortable with heights, skydiving is out for me.

Taffy Clayton 02-01-2013 11:52 AM

I would pick sailing. It is something you could do by yourself or You could crew for someone else. Sky diving seems like you are always dependent on someone else, The plane, the pilot, just seems like alot of $$ and time to do something, you love for 79 sec. While sailing you could eventually even buy a sailboat of your own.

Nightside 02-01-2013 11:56 AM

I also vote sailing. I know little about it but I've worked on enough boats to know my way around. Skydiving may actually be the cheaper hobby, depending on how often you want to go,and is definitely cheaper than buying and maintaining a boat should you ever decide decided to go that route.

However! Boating itself is quiet and enjoyably and a marketable skill in some places. And unless you're an idiot in a boat (I was in the Coast Guard, met a lot of idiots) you are a bit safer. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 02-01-2013 12:08 PM

Our family has one like this on lake Michigan.
I have never learned to take it out by myself, but It sure is fun.
You can start small and upgrade from there.

2002 Sunfish Vanguard sailboat 2002 sailboat for sale in Michigan

Ganonman 02-02-2013 04:21 PM

Those are all very valid points :) I don't really know if I will have enough money on hand to start sailing though..at least with skydiving I get to go for free every once in a while cause my commanding officer owns it
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 02-02-2013 04:41 PM

I don't know how it is there, but around me sometimes a school district will offer some adult education classes is sailing and other stuff through the community college or the local high school.

Icrazyaboutu 02-02-2013 06:57 PM

I vote skydiving! I haven't done either but skydiving is way cooler so... Yea. Haha I'm waiting till my 18th birthday(Just 6 more months!) to finally get to go! :)

Ganonman 02-03-2013 06:39 AM

There is a sailing school quite close to me (like 10 min drive) and there is a very active skydiving facility the same distance away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ganonman 02-03-2013 06:41 AM

I plan on actually taking the full course so I can jump solo and the prices are not too much...but renting/buying a boat may be a lot...I'm going to spend the next 8 years in university (hopefully) so I'm even thinking maybe I can't afford to do any of this yet xD
Posted via Mobile Device