The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy's "Foaling" Thread

7K views 71 replies 18 participants last post by  TexasBlaze 
#1 ·
WHOA! That's one funky looking horse right?! Cause she's a lamb and not a horse! This is my club (suffolk/hampshire) show ewe from 2010. I couldn't sell the lambs i showed over my livestock showing career so I became a breeder! I've got at least 2 ewes guaranteed pregnant including Dizzy here but Dizzy is the one im expecting twins out of!

She is expected anywhere from the end of February til the end of march. I didnt see her get covered but she is obviously right on track with the other ewes who were in the pasture with her and they were all covered for early march babies.

Showing her baby bump

After her last show. When she was a year old.

Her son whom is currently showing all over the state. Full sibling to these babies.

The dad. He's super old but he was used as a breeding ram for the top club lamb breeder in the state. He had too many of his offspring and sold him to me.

See less See more
#6 ·
xD glad im getting such a good response from this guys! A friend of mine thought i might get some rudeness on making a lambing thread and calling it a "foaling" thread xD but i dont have any foals this year so these little guys will have to do!

#7 ·
I'll admit, I was thinking this is a 'horse forum' but who can deny watching for babies?? Lol, hope all goes well with your lambing ;-)

#12 ·
Totally showing how little I know about sheep here ... Why do you pull their heads into your hip for pictures/showing?

AND :lol: I can't wait to see lambs! They are so dang cute
The thought is you want to show a clean 90 degree angle from their shoulders through their neck. Also she is using her knee to push into his chest so he will brace against her and tighten his back muscles and all his other muscles to make them pop out and really make him feel beefy when the judge is feeling him in the show ring.

#14 ·
update!!

The fat lady was basking in the 70 degree weather this morning. It seems like my other ewe will probably have her babies before this girl. She's still got a small bag while my other ewe is filling already.

I figured since not many people know how to take care of a pregnant ewe i will shed a little insight. Ewes have a gestation of 5 months. These girls were let go with the ram in October. When the girls are about 2 weeks from lambing I will get them shaved so the babies dont have a hard time finding the bag. A month before they lamb i start bringing them in from the pasture and inspecting them once a day. I feed them a scoop of grain, give them hay (which they eat on throughout the day as the stalls can be left open afterwards) and check their bags, make sure they arent skinny, arent hurt ect ect.

#17 ·
Im hoping for some twins this year! Last year all i got was singles due to the drought during breeding season!

Baby bump. Ariel view XD

the three girls eating their daily meal.

Their daily ration size. (more than my horses are getting right now)

Her baby from last year. Newborn. Same guy that is pictured on the first post!

#19 ·
I love my sheep. One thing that has been amazing since i got them is that they kill fleas. My dogs havent had fleas in YEARS thanks to them. The fleece suffocates them.

I have a border collie. He loves herding cows, horses, and birds but he has never shown any interest in chasing the sheep. Im not sure why. He would rather play with my youngest. She thinks she is a dog lol!

#22 ·
I raise pygmy and nigerian dwarf goats, so I understand the excitement you are having right now. :) I have been breeding sine 2009 and I still get all giddy when I know my does are about to have their babies. I may have to make a thread whenever they get closer to having their kids this summer. :) good luck with all your babies!!

#24 ·
Two of my girls have advanced into the "on watch" stage. One is expected any day and Dizzy is on just in case watch.

This is the any day ewe. She's a recessive blue bb just like a sorrel is ee.

Dizzy watching over the fence. The stalls have a same side so the girls can see each other and stay calmer. This ewe is a Dominant white so is either BB or Bb in the same way that a black is EE or Ee.

My ram is genetically a white as well but he is Ee as he has thrown a blue baby for me before out of a blue ewe.

#25 ·
Lambs have begun arriving! Went to put my TB back in the pasture for the night and check on the girls one more time and she was licking a VERY VERY newly born baby!! Helped her get him dry and warm (white boy Bb gene) and now im giving momma some space to bond with her boy and possibly have another lamb.

This isnt the lamb that the thread is over. This momma is a blue named Scotch who actually had her first baby, a blue girl by the same father on the SAME day last year xD

Daddy Jack and full sister Lablet looking in on the newest addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.