The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-jumping-151964/)

Gallop On 02-01-2013 11:54 AM

Critique my jumping?

6 Attachment(s)
Alrighty, for starters, Im sorry the pictures are not good quality, they are taken off a cell phone...

Sooooo... what I see: Release MORE. Im glad I had Rustys bitless bridle on... eugh. Maybe shorten my stirrups? I dont know, Rustys a midget at 14.2 and Im around 5'7-8, making us look awkward :lol: But it does look like Im pretty much sitting in the saddle... I need to get my butt up and off the saddle? Tuck my wings in (I cant really see if thats what Im doing or not) and... I dont know! Im open for all critique, I would like to improve my riding as best as possible. Also, please critique Rusty :) Ive been trainerless since... Well, since ever. So this is the best way of improving my riding ;) Thank you!

alexischristina 02-01-2013 08:24 PM

Out of curiosity, what on earth are you jumping over? And what is the height?

So my first thought, based mostly on your first, fifth and sixth pictures is NO you do not need to get your butt any farther out of the saddle. That said, with some of your other pictures I see someone who is getting a bit 'stuck', I'd like you to become a little more 'consistent' with your two point, which will help everything else fall into place. You look like you're jumping a little too far forward, bringing your center of gravity back over the center of your saddle, rather than pitched in front of your pommel will help a LOT, and then flattening your back (see the big arch there? That's a back-ache waiting to happen!) will help you get rid of that 'duck butt' sticking up in the air :wink:
Now, keeping all of that in mind, yes I would suggest shortening your stirrups to help you with the other pictures where you seem stuck in the saddle, shortening your stirrups and employing the above advice should help you become a little more consistent with a proper distance out of the saddle.

I also notice that you seem to be 'laying' on the horses neck a little, again this will be helped by bringing your center of gravity back a little bit.

As for your release... I personally think your release is quite sufficient, the jump is big enough that I like to see some contact, but not big enough that you need a HUGE release, but yes, tuck your wings in a bit and relax through your arms.

Gallop On 02-01-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1873740)
Out of curiosity, what on earth are you jumping over? And what is the height?

So my first thought, based mostly on your first, fifth and sixth pictures is NO you do not need to get your butt any farther out of the saddle. That said, with some of your other pictures I see someone who is getting a bit 'stuck', I'd like you to become a little more 'consistent' with your two point, which will help everything else fall into place. You look like you're jumping a little too far forward, bringing your center of gravity back over the center of your saddle, rather than pitched in front of your pommel will help a LOT, and then flattening your back (see the big arch there? That's a back-ache waiting to happen!) will help you get rid of that 'duck butt' sticking up in the air :wink:
Now, keeping all of that in mind, yes I would suggest shortening your stirrups to help you with the other pictures where you seem stuck in the saddle, shortening your stirrups and employing the above advice should help you become a little more consistent with a proper distance out of the saddle.

I also notice that you seem to be 'laying' on the horses neck a little, again this will be helped by bringing your center of gravity back a little bit.

As for your release... I personally think your release is quite sufficient, the jump is big enough that I like to see some contact, but not big enough that you need a HUGE release, but yes, tuck your wings in a bit and relax through your arms.

Aha, the jump - That would be a jump I threw together for the moment out of random materials I had at hand. Its a blue barrel (secured to the ground to prevent it from rolling) and saw horses. The brick was just their. Excuse the messyness of it. The jump height... Ahh, I am going to guess at around 3'? I have not the slightest idea though...

Now, thank you so so much! What do you mean by stuck? Could you explain that? And also, when you say that Im jumping to far forward do you mean that... I dont know, could you explain that too? :) My back, the hollow back is a big problem, I used to roach it, then I starting hollowing it, now Im working on getting it flat... Slowly! I always think Im riding all good until I record or take pictures, then Im abhorred by whats going on :lol: I too noticed I seem to be laying on Rustys neck, I will work on that. Thank you again for your time, and critique :)

alexischristina 02-01-2013 10:57 PM

I'll reply in more depth when I get home and can look at your pics again but will try to answer now from my phone...

By too far forward- do you see where your pelvis is in the photos where your back is particularly arched and your butt is in the air? It's positioned over the front of your saddle, which means your center of gravity is in a rather precarious position. By bringing your lower body (pelvis) backwards over the center of your saddle it will help you from laying on his neck and give you a more secure seat of something goes wrong.

By stuck I just mean that it looks like you had a hard time in some photos getting up out of the saddle, like you're behind the motion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gallop On 02-02-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1874012)
I'll reply in more depth when I get home and can look at your pics again but will try to answer now from my phone...

By too far forward- do you see where your pelvis is in the photos where your back is particularly arched and your butt is in the air? It's positioned over the front of your saddle, which means your center of gravity is in a rather precarious position. By bringing your lower body (pelvis) backwards over the center of your saddle it will help you from laying on his neck and give you a more secure seat of something goes wrong.

By stuck I just mean that it looks like you had a hard time in some photos getting up out of the saddle, like you're behind the motion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahh yes, okay. So in some photos I look like I'm jumping too far forward, and in others I look stuck in the saddle... Hmm, I'm going to go back to jumping at a lower height to sort this out. Or just practice more at that height? I want to have a firm foundation... If at all possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 02-02-2013 12:23 AM

I definitely suggest lowering the fences! At the beginning of each lesson my coach as me circling / figure 8ing over very small fences, no bigger than 2ft, 2'3, just to work on my position. We work on getting out of the saddle JUST enough, but otherwise staying close to the tack, to reduce the risk of really exaggerating the 2-point. Grid work and bounces, etc. will also really help. Are you working with an instructor? (Sorry if I missed that anywhere...) it can be really helpful to have someone shouting at you from the ground.

I honestly think you should shorten your stirrups a tad, and start working on the smaller jumps and then with the shorter stirrups post more pictures, so we can get a look at your position without the stirrup issue. You might find that a lot of things have 'fixed' themselves... and you might also find some temporary new issues, if you've been used to riding with your stirrups a touch too long.

Legend 02-02-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1874119)
I definitely suggest lowering the fences! At the beginning of each lesson my coach as me circling / figure 8ing over very small fences, no bigger than 2ft, 2'3, just to work on my position. We work on getting out of the saddle JUST enough, but otherwise staying close to the tack, to reduce the risk of really exarating the 2-point. Grid work and bounces, etc. will also really help. Are you working with an instructor? (Sorry if I missed that anywhere...) it can be really helpful to have someone shouting at you from the ground.

I honestly think you should shorten your stirrups a tad, and start working on the smaller jumps and then with the shorter stirrups post more pictures, so we can get a look at your position without the stirrup issue. You might find that a lot of things have 'fixed' themselves... and you might also find some temporary new issues, if you've been used to riding with your stirrups a touch too long.

Posted via Mobile Device

Gallop On 02-02-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 1874119)
I definitely suggest lowering the fences! At the beginning of each lesson my coach as me circling / figure 8ing over very small fences, no bigger than 2ft, 2'3, just to work on my position. We work on getting out of the saddle JUST enough, but otherwise staying close to the tack, to reduce the risk of really exaggerating the 2-point. Grid work and bounces, etc. will also really help. Are you working with an instructor? (Sorry if I missed that anywhere...) it can be really helpful to have someone shouting at you from the ground.

Sadly I don't have a coach. Lowering the jump and shortening my stirrups sounds like a plan ;) I honestly don't feel extremely comfortable in short stirrups, which is probably 99% why they are a tad to long. How many holes do you think I should raise them? I actually love grid work and bounces :) It's very helpful for both me and rusty. Thank you ^.*

tinyliny 02-02-2013 01:13 AM

All I can say (I am not a jumper) is that Rusty is perfectly adorable and a very tidy jumper. I bet you just love him!

Oxer 02-02-2013 09:48 PM

I love this horse. I actually really like your equitation. Your release doesn't offend me in one single shot. I am, however, going to say that you need to be careful with your toe. It's a good thing you're not wearing spurs, as you'd be digging out your pony's sides with them. Roll your toe forward... not enough so that you're pinching with your knee... but just enough so that your toe is in and its the inside of your calf on your horse, and not the back of your calf.