The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My Geldings New Habit.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-geldings-new-habit-151979/)

SunnyMeadeFarm 02-01-2013 01:14 PM

My Geldings New Habit..

Hello, I would love some opinions on something that is happening lately when walking my gelding pony, (by walking I mean in hand with his halter and lead not riding) I suspect it is since he is wanting to get as much grass as possible because he has very little this time of year, but he has been trying pull off the road toward the bit of grass coming out of the snow, but when I pull his head up since I want him focused on me and what I am working on him that day, he refuses to move. He stands still and won't walk.

What should I do at this time? He is usually a very respectful, he never kicks/bites, never refuses an obstacle (if I work him up to it obviously) in his agility, but what I am saying overall he is very willing.

I usually stand with him, not allowing him to eat, we just stand still until he decides he wants to continue. More times than not I will circle him and he will continue, but not always. What should I be doing to correct this?

Thanks in advance!

texasgal 02-01-2013 01:47 PM

I would carry a whip or a long stick. Put it in your left hand pointed behind you (assuming you are on his left side slightly behind his head). As soon as he stops, and without looking back, reach back (behind your back) with the whip/stick in your left hand and tap him on the rump. If he doesn't respond, .. do it harder.

I find that they are generally a little shocked to be touched back there when you are up front leading them and its enough to break their concentration and get their feet moving...

Good luck!

PunksTank 02-01-2013 01:53 PM

First thing I'm going to say is 'tis the season! This is the season for geldings/stallions to be BAD - this would be the season where they would begin sparring with each other and situating their herds for eventual breeding. So they're in fighting moods in general in this season.

That being said, being bad should never be permitted - and stopping and not moving is being stubborn rude, and potentially dangerous if you need him to move for a real purpose (like a car coming or something).
While I generally opt for gentler methods it sounds like your pony is just being plain old rude - Don't get ahead of him, don't stop to face him - just stay at his side and march forward, if he doesn't go use the end of the lead rope and swing it behind you so it swings at his girth area.
You can also try 'dislodging' him. Make him do a sharp turn, if he won't budge turn his head all the way towards you and push his bum - this should help unstick him. This works for temporary dislodging, but if he continues to just stand after that then you need to use the lead rope or even start carrying a dressage whip to keep him motivated.

LAhorses 02-01-2013 01:54 PM

We have that problem also, but he won't left his head up. So we us a small whip and tap him between the ears, it seems to work for now!

texasgal 02-01-2013 02:03 PM

LA .. the trick is not to let his head get to the ground. Sometimes my boot mysteriously ends up right where his head was going.. if you know what I mean.

It doesn't take much of a BUMP to keep his head off the ground. But you have to be consistent. NEVER let them go to grass unless YOU tell them they can.

imo

LAhorses 02-01-2013 02:29 PM

Thanks for the advice!

SunnyMeadeFarm 02-01-2013 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I do have a crop I could try but he has a small issue with any whips/crops because he had bad training in his past. I will also try the lead rope thing if the whip doesn't work out.

I do sometimes do a 'sharp turn' (what I meant by circling) which does work occasionally.

Janna 02-01-2013 05:45 PM

I'd have a whip, soon as he puts his head down, it'd be yanked back up I'd continue walking. If he won't, that whip will put of nowhere pop his ass.

trainerunlimited 02-01-2013 05:53 PM

Dont turn around and face him with the crop or raise it up, keep it low at your side until you reach back and smack him. I've fixed tons of goofy horses that have issues like that. They seem to not know where its coming from at first and it prompts their movement. Good luck!

LynnF 02-01-2013 07:04 PM

Another method you could try is when he stop get behind his shoulder and start lunging him, make him work and then just walk in the direction you want to go. If he stops again lunge him some more then walk again. Repeat this every time he won't move and he will soon learn that stopping means he will have to work harder.