The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Showing Heat-Like Symptoms Constantly! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/showing-heat-like-symptoms-constantly-151990/)

Glynnis 02-01-2013 03:40 PM

Showing Heat-Like Symptoms Constantly!

Hi all, it's me again. Lilly seems to be doing everything she can to baffle me this year. I guess she's making up for lost time for having nary a health problem in 11 years.

Just over a month ago, I moved my mare Lilly to a friend's place. Before, her pasture mate was a 29 year old mare. My friend owns two geldings and two mares. When we brought Lilly to my friend's place, she immediately began exhibiting extreme signs of heat, including squeeling, lashing out with her front legs and urinating in small amounts. I thought it was slightly unusual for her to be in heat in January, but not impossible and given that she was with a geriatric mare, it didn't surprise me that she wouldn't show signs of heat previously.

My friend just talked to me on the phone to discuss a few other things, but mentioned that Lilly hasn't let up on the heat-like behaviour, like if it were possible, you'd think she was in heat every day. Every time a horse, mare or gelding alike, walks by, she squeals and lashes out with her front legs and acts very mareish. She hasn't been let in with the other horses, but just does this behaviour across the fence in the adjacent paddock. Could it just be excitement over her new friends that will pass, or do you think there are other health related causes of this? Is she just exhibiting dominance? She didn't do any of these behaviours before, but she was also the boss in her previous herd of two.

I've scheduled a vet appointment for her next week for some things unrelated to this, but was going to ask the vet about this too and conduct some hormone tests if deemed necessary. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything like this before?

BlueSpark 02-01-2013 03:42 PM

we had a boarders mare last year, 9 years old, as soon as she came to the farm she started heat like behaviours and kept it up for 3 months.

egrogan 02-01-2013 03:44 PM

My mare does this every time a new horse (mare or gelding) comes to the barn, regardless of time of year. Typically lasts a couple of weeks but has varied based on the newcomer.

Glynnis 02-01-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 1873300)
we had a boarders mare last year, 9 years old, as soon as she came to the farm she started heat like behaviours and kept it up for 3 months.

3 months?! Wow. So maybe I'm just overanalyzing then; I have a tendency to do that. Lilly's mom, my horse before her, behaved similarly when introduced to new horses, but that was for a day or two, not weeks or months, so I was a little alarmed. I should have gotten a gelding. :?

PaintHorseMares 02-01-2013 04:30 PM

I wouldn't be too quick to conclude this a mare in season behavior. I'm more inclined to think it's an adjustment problem to new horses, and she well may be just trying to establish herself as boss (as you mentioned).
Posted via Mobile Device

Glynnis 02-01-2013 05:03 PM

I was assuming heat because of the frequent and small amounts of urination going on when I dropped her off. Maybe heat was the initial cause of her funky behaviours and now she is trying to sort out the pecking order? I've just never seen it go on for this long before.