The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Hock Injections?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/hock-injections-151995/)

RememberMeForThis99 02-01-2013 04:10 PM

Hock Injections??

I'm looking at a horse for buy, a off the track thoroughbred gelding who is 6. After e-mailing the owner I found out he gets hock injections once or twice a year.

My question is; can hock injections be used for prevention or in the case that the horse is doing heavy work (eventing in this case) and the worry of them having hock pain.

Also, if a horse has had hock injections should they be continued?

Thank you!

GarretKaylaShi 02-01-2013 04:16 PM

I personally don't like hock injections. They will prevent pain, but in the end will just end up hurting the horse, so if you can, discontinue them. People use them alot when showing in bigger shows, but I don't like them.

Speed Racer 02-01-2013 04:21 PM

If a horse is only 6 y/o and getting hock injections, run the other way. FAST.

SaddleOnline 02-01-2013 04:21 PM

Not all hock injections are bad for the horse, sometimes they are just replacing lost joint fluid in older horses...that being said, twice yearly hock injections in a six year old are a big red flag.....that is really quite young to be needing that sort of maintenance...I would consider Adequan or Legend more in the preventative category than actually injecting the joint.

Make sure you get a PPE done before purchasing!

RememberMeForThis99 02-01-2013 04:39 PM

I have just asked the owner, hopefully I will get a straight answer on why he gets hock injections.

RememberMeForThis99 02-01-2013 04:52 PM

Apparently he gets sore jumping novice height.

*sigh*

Speed Racer 02-01-2013 04:54 PM

At least they were honest. Time to look at horses who DON'T need hock injections at such a young age.