The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Rescue: Horses Left for Dead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/rescue-horses-left-dead-15200/)

stingray615 09-25-2008 04:28 PM

Rescue: Horses Left for Dead

Rescue: Horses Left for Dead

Your attention to this matter is asked for because these perpetrators shouldn't be allowed to own animals. Adequate animal protection laws are not yet in place, and drawing attention to cases like this will help to bring about positive changes. As the laws are now, people are not held accountable enough for the damage that they do to indefensible animals. Whether this is done purposefully or not, the animal is the one who suffers. The men in this case were merely charged with misdemeanors... hardly severe enough for the atrocities that they committed. Monetary fines for offences of this nature are typically of a relatively insignificant amount of money, and actual jail time is rare.

The men in the article are from Woodstock/Roswell, Georgia. These men, a father and son, came to Montana for the adventure of a lifetime. It turned out to be a nightmare for the unfortunate horses that they chose to serve them. Its hard to believe that anyone could be so oblivious to another living thing as to allow something of this nature to happen, and then, to not responsibility after the fact. Its an incredible act of selfishness, ignorance and arrogance. These men had no business doing what they did, as you'll see when you read the comment at the end of this post.

The two Woodstock/Roswell, Georgia men are being charged with cruelty to animals when they went to Montana with 4 horses, made them carry heavy packs thru the mountains, nearly without food or water, and left one of them tied to a log. ...to die. When authorities found the rest of the horses in a makeshift stall, they were confiscated, and determined to be neglected, malnourished, dehydrated, emaciated with saddle sores and a myriad of other serious health problems. The saddles and packs had worn through the horses skin, exposing the bone and cartilage beneath.

It was more than just 'bad'. You REALLY need to read this to get the full impact. In the 'Rocky Mountain Rider' article, titled “Left for Dead", the last name is misspelled, Its supposed to be 'Heydon. Also, be warned, the photos are very graphic....

When the men were given the choice to help pay the vet bills for the damage that they caused to the animals that they abused, they declined. Also, they plead not guilty to the charges and seem oblivious to what they've done. After the fact, they wanted their horses back... 'to take care of'... the judge refused to return them.

The men returned home to Woodstock/Roswell, Georgia where they reside, and abandoned the horses, who are now in the care of the Bitterroot Humane Society, where pleas are going out for volunteers to help feed and care for the horses.

In addition, here's what I found in the internet from an internet forum from Georgia:

“I have a horse rescue organization in Cumming, GA. These two men came to my farm wanting to adopt 4 horse for the summer then bring them back. They said they were going on a trip of a lifetime together, father and son. Admirable? I thought it sounded like a nice experience. After speaking to them a while, they had no horse knowledge, no trailer experience and didn't have any use for the horses after their trip. I had a gut feeling NOT to let them have any horse now or later. I am glad my gut speaks to me. I would have been devastated if it was any horse in my care that this happened to. I am sick to my stomach seeing any horse treated like this. It is absolute cruelty.
When they left here, they were heading to the local horse auction facility to see what they had cheap. These horses once belongs to someone who cared and loved them. I hope the owners never find out so they can be spared the heartache of this suffering. “
Cheryl Flanagan

Why are we doing this? Because the laws aren't severe enough for this kind of crime; we can see the obvious injustice here, and we would like for an atrocity like this to follow these men to where they live. They shouldn't be allowed to go across country, do this, then return home and forget about it. These people are going about their business as if nothing happened. Their communities should know what they've done. We would hope that they never again have the opportunity to do something like this, and if they can't get horses, they won't.

Who are we? We live here, in Stevensville, Montana, we are among many people here volunteering their own time and money to help care for the horses. We have enough on our plate already, and we'd like to make a difference. If you need any more information, we would be more than happy to provide it. Thank you for your time.

TxHorseMom 09-25-2008 10:34 PM

I've read about these two so-called "men" (REAL men wouldn't be so cruel) and it makes me sick to my stomach. I agree, tougher laws should be in place. Scum like this should be in jail for a LONG TIME, and made to pay for the care of these horses. Now and for as long as they live. What, other than donations can we do? ($$ Donations are the obvious answer for the horses)

stingray615 09-25-2008 10:50 PM

How to help;

Please visit my blog about this, there are plenty of links. Myself and my g/f wrote the county prosecutor and asked him to prosecute the men to the fullest extent of the law. We hand delivered it today.

Other than that, just contact the Bitteroot Humane Society, the contact info is in the Rocky Mountain Rider article, as is the county prosecutors address too.

If enough people show interest in this, then something positive will come of it. Now, that would be a step in the right direction!

Thank you for your interest... please pass this info along,

Ken

TxHorseMom 09-25-2008 11:26 PM

Dumb question, but how do I visit your blog? I will definately pass this along. thanks

stingray615 09-26-2008 03:39 PM

To visit the blog;

Just click the little house above the 'alert mods' button...

3neighs 09-26-2008 06:09 PM

Oh, that is just sickening. I read the more detailed article with the pictures. I hope those men are locked away for a long time.