The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Dying boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/dying-boots-152034/)

Chubbyandbailey 02-01-2013 09:41 PM

Dying boots?

I need to dye my western boots to match my teal show outfit. Any tips or tricks on how to do this?

Haley 02-01-2013 09:56 PM

I've never done it myself. I know some people spray paint them, but I prefer to leave it to a professional. I get all mine dyed at a local shoe maker/repair shop. I leave them the pants to match the color and they've always done a wonderful job. Just call some local shoe places and see if they do custom dying!

Coffeejunkie 02-04-2013 09:22 AM

I use car paint in spray cans. The car paint is great and doesn't chip/peel easily since it is meant to conform to the body lines and curves on a surface. Some people prep the surface by stripping the finish, roughing it up etc. I did no prep on my boots, just taped the soles, painted and sealed. I am not crafty or handy in any way and did this with no problems. I refinished them last year just to give them the bright "new" look, but they weren't peeling/cracking/chipping. I wore them lots for 3 years before I thought they needed a freshen up coat.

If you're a size 7-7.5, mine are for sale (teal). They didn't fit the girl that bought my showmanship and are nice flat sole square toes. :)

averyhmko 02-04-2013 01:00 PM

tack shop

Really easy to mess the finish up on your boots doing this at home. I would take it to a tack shop and have someone do it professionally, they also are able to match the colors a lot better than you can with a bottle of spray paint. There's a lot of things that could go wrong.

Horsecccrazy 02-08-2013 02:09 PM

Spray paint

I used spray paint to match my boots to my coronation dress. It worked perfectly but I'm not sure if it would work for riding. you could always try it!

AQHAprincess999 02-14-2013 01:52 PM

I as well never died my boots.. Took them to a professional to much work and a big mess.