The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- English Riding (/english-riding/)
- - English Riding Tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-riding-tips-152039/)
English Riding Tips?
I am riding Western right now, but in the middle of switching to English. My lat Western lesson is tomorrow.
I have been riding for about 5-6 years, the first 2 doing English, the 3-4 doing Western. I have been wanting to ride English for a while now, and I finally talked to my parents about it. We have a lesson set up for next week at the English barn.
I am a bit nervous for this. I have a few years of riding experience, and I have been riding in an English saddle the lest few weeks, so I am pretty used to it. What are some tips for (re)starting English? I know all the stuff like heels down, line from ear, hip, heel, and riding posture. But what tips do y'all have for things like jumping and such? Thanks!
Be open to trying new things and taking things slowly at first :P It feels really different being in an English when you've been used to a western one!
Sitting up tall (but not stiffly) and stretching your legs down are two tips that are going to be your best friends.
Best of luck; have fun!
Some random tips:
1. Don't force heels down. Let the weight sink into the heels.
2. Stand on the edge of stairs. Heels down, hold, lift heels up. (Good workout!)
3. Always maintain some contact with the horses mouth! No slack reins, usually.
4. Work endlessly on your two point before you start jumping.
5. Work endlessly on W/T/C without stirrups before you start jumping.
6. Go over some ground polls W/T/C without stirrups.
7. Never look down when jumping! Look where you need to go next.
8. Always jump the rail in the middle. Jump sideways and you risk a refusal.
9. Don't rest your hands on the horses neck!
10. Don't lay on the horses neck either when jumping!
11. When rising / posting trot, let the horse lift you. Do not push off stirrups.
I'll leave some more when I think about them...
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.