The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barefoot vs. Shoes

9K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  Viranh 
#1 ·
As most of you all know, I'm pro-barefoot and prefer to use hoof boots when it comes to protection fora variety of reasons. However, I know there are a lot of opinions out there. I started this thread to hear them :)

I did find this wonderful gem of an explanation (on Facebook) for one of the reasons I find barefoot to be healthier than boots. Thought I'd kick this off by sharing:

I'm on the EasyCare Page and I'm a barefoot trimmer because I believe in hoof protection where necessary and Easycare produces a great range of hoof boots. Hoof boots are way preferable to shoeing because they are protection which do not insist on total peripheral loading of the hoof wall (toe nail). Wearing hoof boots the horse can spread the load AND maximise expansion of the hoof (cos its not cast in a nailed on shoe). Ok Ok. Sure there is SOME expansion of a hoof in a shoe but there is no doubt that there is none-the-less LESS expansion in a shod horse than in a barefoot horse. Even in a barefoot horse with long hoof walls! Barefoot people are not against hoof protection.Rather they are in favour of doing the right thing by the horse and if that involves protection (which it often does) then seeking protection which maximise the normal hoof function. Shoes put more shock into the horse's body (you try running around with metal plates nailed to the bottom of your shoes and see if its any more uncomfortable than running around in your rubber soled joggers/plimsolls/runners or casual shoes.) Hoof boots help the horse absorb the shock of concussion and importantly do not transmit additional shock into the horse's body.

#2 ·
I tried to have my mare barefoot for 18months, she would be lame even in her stall for 3weeks out of a month. I kept being told it would get better. I was finally tired of her being in pain had the vet out to be Xrayed the vet told me if I didn't want her in pain put shoes on her because barefoot wasn't going to work. The mare had early signs of navicular. 2days later the farrier came out put shoes on all 4(alluminum eventer shoes). My girl hasn't taken a lame step since it's been almost 2yrs. That being said it broke my heart to take the vets advice, I agonized over it but I had to get her out of pain. Not saying that with another horse I wouldn't try barefoot I wouldn't wait 18months to go back to shoes if horse was in pain longer then a reasonable transition time.

#5 ·
I've never used the boots, but my I've had my 13 year old Arab for 10 months now and have always kept him barefoot without a hitch. In fact, his previous owners had him for 4 years and they kept him barefoot the whole time, too. I mainly ride in an arena, though; I used to do hunter/jumpers with him but have switched to dressage. My mom bought a couple 6-year old Tennessee Walkers a couple years ago that had shoes; she had both of them get their shoes pulled and they've been barefoot ever since with no problems.

#7 ·
I've had my 13 year old Arab for 10 months now and have always kept him barefoot without a hitch. I mainly ride in an arena, though

My mare has never set foot in an arena. We ride places like this:

Dream is steel shod all the way around.

#6 ·
My girl is shod on the front.

Before I started shoeing her I did a lot of research into boots and really wanted to try some. But, the more reading I did, the more I realized that none of them would fit her, likely. He feet are just a weird shape and the shoes can be molded to fit them, while boots can't.

#9 ·
There are so many factors that can make 'barefoot' a powerhouse of success and equally as many that can make it a rocket of disaster. I even put barefoot in an ambiguous formation here, because nailing down exactly what it is can be so difficult when working with uninformed people, especially the professionals who simply won't be told how to do their job.

I am very fortunate to have found a farrier who will work with me to achieve what's best for my horses. I trimmed ours myself for two years until I found her and I'll never let her go!

In my somewhat experienced opinion, more horses than not could very successfully thrive with proper batefoot trimming, as long as a condusive living environment is provided. I find more and more people allow their over-thinking, micro-managing busy brains sabatoge even their most honest efforts. I say all this with all riding terrian in my mind's eye (and we do ride it all).

Some breeds, like the Arab, Mustang and the Fjord, naturally are better about it, but even my butter-footed QH mare and mealy-footed APHA gelding both toughened up within a year of conditioning and NO transitional pain. That's doing it properly. No shared lineage between the two, but a shared living and riding environment, definitely. Oh, and I never stopped riding either a day during their reconditioning. Both did wear hoof boots for the first year during regular riding, which later changed to harsh terrain rides only.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Depends on your horse, their hoof, if you can even find a boot that really fits, and what kind of terrain you have access to condition on. For some, shoes are the best option, but for others, boots work wonderfully for competition and training. There are some rides that you would be remiss not to offer your horse some protection (Virginia Highlands comes to mind!).

#11 ·
^^ Even with shoes on, my horse still got a bruised in Virginia! :lol: I hate rocky rides!

The way my season is looking, I'm going to have one rocky ride every 10-ish weeks. Which means shoes on all the time. All year. For a handful of rides. :? Not happening. I think I'm going for boots. My first rocky ride is going to be at Uwharrie Forest, which is a kicker. I'm a little scared. I desperately don't want to have a booting crisis up there!

#12 ·
Brighteyes, call the boot company you are interested in getting boots from and try very hard to find a professional fitter/dealer in your area. You will be very, VERY glad you did. I am setting up an appointment with a woman 4 hours away from me for my mare, so I know it stinks, but it's better than the rubbing, losing boots, and all the other crud that can and will go wrong. Make sure your barefoot trimmer is certified ... a pasture trim isn't the same and won't fit a boot like a Renegade properly.

But if this doesn't work for me, I am going back to shoes and not looking back. Not against either one. My mare has issues and is probably better off barefoot, but in terms of where we ride, she needs something, and if the something is shoes, fine.

#13 ·
I'm leaning towards Renagades, because I've ridden horses that use easy boots. Those things are a royal pain in the butt to get on and off. :lol: You also have to rasp between trims to keep them fitting, which I don't trust myself to do.

I just started using a certified barefoot trimmer. In fact, today was my mare's second trimming with him. I'm already seeing an improvement. No more cracking, she moves better, and she's already walking on hard surfaces without pain.

I guess I need to find a Renagade fitter. I'm in central Georgia, the land of nothing at all. Hopefully they have a listing on their site...

#14 ·
For horses that are slightly tender on rides, I prefer boots.

If horses are tender in the pasture even with proper trimming, I would shoe.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
thats why I feel it is important to use a foot care farrier with a full tool box, that isnt caught up in one technique, shoe type or boot type. That way you can get decent objective advice on what is best for your horse and situation. My farrier will just as quickly come help you measure and put on boots, as he will Keg shod, NB shoe, or tell you to stay barefoot. BASED on the horse and its use, not on any bias or prejudice.

#16 ·
Renegades fit like a glove. They do need a freshly rasped foot or at least a highly maintained one. LOVE the product, though - best of all boots I've tried. A looser fit could be found in the G1 Old Macs. The G2s came out and were completely the wrong shape for a healthy bare foot, imo. Maybe some horses always have that high, contracted-herl block o wood look, but none of mine ever did. ^shrug^

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
Renegades fit like a glove. They do need a freshly rasped foot or at least a highly maintained one. LOVE the product, though - best of all boots I've tried. A looser fit could be found in the G1 Old Macs. The G2s came out and were completely the wrong shape for a healthy bare foot, imo. Maybe some horses always have that high, contracted-herl block o wood look, but none of mine ever did. ^shrug^

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks!

That's not what I've heard! Everyone I know with Renegades has their horses on a four week trim cycle (like I do), never have to rasp in between, and actually say they would rather the boot be a little loose than tight. The heel captivator is what keeps in on. So I've been told. :wink:

And apparently, they aren't any reps in Georgia. :-( I might have to go it alone. I can send pictures, but that will only do so much for the right fit.

#17 ·
I have used all kinds of boots and nothing works better than my horses being shod. With shoes i do not have to worry about my horses getting a rub or losing a boot. Sure you can still lose shoes, but not as often as i have lost a boot. And i think if your farrier knows what they are doing then shoes are not bad for a horse. But that is just my opinion and i know there is a lot of people out there with their own opinion. :)

#19 ·
I was glad to see this thread! I have been on the fence, trying to decide whether to try boots or shoes the past few weeks. At this point I am leaning towards getting my boy shod. The best place we have to condition around here are gravel roads. I also feel like he would be a nightmare to fit as far as boots go. Since he is a pony he has small feet but they are quite round (almost like draft feet) :)

Phantomhorse13 - wow that is crazy terrain! Does Dream have pads too?

-

#21 ·
Phantomhorse13 - wow that is crazy terrain! Does Dream have pads too?
Dream isn't padded all the time, but she gets pour-in pads before especially bad rides. I like those because I feel they conform to the sole the best and they are fairly easy to remove when no longer needed (but before farrier comes out again).

#23 ·
I've never understood why people can be so against shoeing. What is done with the horse's feet should be what's best for the horse. I've seen horrible jobs with both. Every horse, just like every person, is different. A person could run a marathon with a barefoot sneaker/ shoe and finish strong. Another person could run a marathon with a barefoot sneaker/ shoe and not be able to walk after because based on their body then need support in a sneaker. Put that second person in a sneaker that supports them in the proper way for their body and they will finish a marathon strong.

#24 ·
I keep my mustang barefoot because he has really amazing rock hard hooves and my QH wears shoes but I might explore other options with him (fronts only, barefoot). My horses are ridden on grass or in arenas, so they are at low risk of damaging their hooves. I agree that it's really up to the individual horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
unsuccesfull with boots

I tried riding with the boots but they were more hassle than what they were worth. When it's cold weather I do not want to spend all the extra time required to clean the feet and fit and fasted the boots on, only to have them become askew or come off during my ride. My horse is tall so it is hard for me to dismount and mount while riding on the trail. (Can't always find a stump, lol) Plus I was always worrying about them. I go out to ride to relax, not to worry! Plus my horse is more comfortable in steel shoes, he walks out much more sure footed.

#26 ·
I've never had horses that could go barefoot (based on their feet and farrier recommendation), so could someone explain to me if your horse is able to go barefoot (based on the quality of their feet) why would they need boots to protect their feet? If they are barefoot shouldn't their feet be hard/durable enough to go on the surface they're being ridden on?

#27 ·
One of the big potential problems is when the foot is being worn off faster than it can grow due to heavy use. A horse might be perfectly sound to ride on abrasive sand for 20 miles in a day.. but if you do that day after day, the hoof/sole is going to be worn away much faster than the horse can produce new, so is going to become sore.

#28 ·
I go barefoot because I believe it's healthier for their feet. I agree that you should do "what's best for the horse", but also believe that a lot of people are uneducated about the benefits of going barefoot and are very set in their ways with shoes. Very few horses actually "need" shoes - those would be the horses that really cannot carry a boot, are covering terrain too rough for a boot, or have hoof issues that require a boot (though my farrier did an incredible job correcting my horse's feet with great barefoot trims when a "traditional" farrier said he would need shoes).

Hoof protection is generally necessary in certain terrain. As many people have pointed out, horses have been shod for centuries in an effort to protect their feet from the terrain that we've asked them to travel on. Between domestication and the tasks we as of our horses, they will need this protection every now and then. Because my horse does not need protection except on endurance rides, when I'm asking him to travel over sometimes rocky terrain and do so quickly, I prefer to keep his feet barefoot and healthy.

Far fewer horses "need" shoes than people believe - and barefoot advocates often find themselves in the minority when it comes to hoof care.

My farrier had excellent training and first began as your typical farrier. However, when she completed her training in barefoot trimming, she more or less became a barefoot-only trimmer because of how much it really does support a strong, healthy hoof. She still has her anvil *just in case*, but hasn't touched it in years. In fact, though rare, not being able to go barefoot would be a deal-breaker for her when buying a horse because that would only be because the horse has major hoof issues.

#29 ·
Another reason for boots is transitioning. If a horse has had shoes and shoe trims for any amount of time, they're going to require time to rebuild natural protection and resilience. My thin-soled QH mare needed boots for almost a year before I could trot her barefoot down the gravel road. I didn't have to stop riding during her rehab.
Posted via Mobile Device

#34 ·
Ok so if you have a horse that has conformation that needs support or a horse who has bad angles how would you go about correcting it as a barefoot trimmer?
Here's a website you might find helpful about "natural" or barefoot correctional trimming. Afterall, it's not the shoes that fixes the conformation, it's the trim that occurs before the shoes are put on. You can "train" a horse's hoof to grow a certian way if it's consistently trimmed properly.

#33 ·
When I say rocky terrain that requires boots, I mean SERIOUS backcountry terrain, much like what phatomhorse posted. For example, one of my favorite rides involves going across a rock slide with huge rocks and a "path" somehow wound between and around them. These are things that, in addition to likely wearing out the boots faster than I'd like, would likely rip boots off as well. In these circumstances, I would shoe. However 99% of my lifetime riding is over terrain that I could boot, and so that's what I do. I don't see me going on a ride requiring shoes anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.