The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Leather or Synthetic? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/leather-synthetic-152058/)

Get up and go 02-02-2013 12:50 AM

Leather or Synthetic?

Which do you prefer? I own a leather saddle and have always rode in them. I went on a ride with someone recently that preferred synthetic because leather only lasts about ten years and can unexpectedly break. Do any of yall have any major problems with either? I'm going to be buying at least one more saddle soon, since I'm adding to my herd when I move onto more land in a month, and I'd like to know which is better.

waresbear 02-02-2013 12:57 AM

Whoever told you leather saddles only last ten years must've been buying water buffalo saddles from Bangladesh or some place like that. They can last forever if taken care of, synthetic can break too, if not more so than leather. For western, I only use leather saddles, for english I prefer upper quality leather saddle but I do not mind a good quality synthetic either.

alexischristina 02-02-2013 12:58 AM

LEATHER.
Synthetic can be slippery and stiff and unforgiving, I'm REALLY not a fan.

Get up and go 02-02-2013 12:59 AM

How does leather do in the rain, if it gets soaked will it be alright?

waresbear 02-02-2013 01:01 AM

I have had many leather saddles get soaked, I just make sure I condition them afterwards, good leather can handle it with no problems.

alexischristina 02-02-2013 01:01 AM

My saddle has been soaked countless times, a few times so badly I thought parts of it were going to turn purple (it's a really deep havana), took it into the house let it dry out and conditioned it and it was good as new. If you just let it sit in water for days the lower quality stuff will stain, but if you take care of it it will last.

Phly 02-02-2013 01:01 AM

Ha ten years my butt! I ride in a 50yr old leather saddle and have seen people who ride every day in older.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get up and go 02-02-2013 01:03 AM

Well then that kinda makes me happy because all of the "pretty" saddles are leather and easier to find than synthetic.

waresbear 02-02-2013 01:06 AM

Don't worry about pretty when it comes to saddles, worry about fit and feel.

HorseGuru 02-02-2013 01:15 AM

Synthetic are lighter.

For a western saddle I would look at a wind tech 50/50 awesome saddle