The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Reining/ Cow Horse Prospect- Possible Buy? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/reining-cow-horse-prospect-possible-buy-152068/)

Lopin N Paint 02-02-2013 07:14 AM

Reining/ Cow Horse Prospect- Possible Buy?

Ok, looking at this horse as a prospect.

I'd like to get my feet wet in showing reining and playing with some cows.

I will add;
I'm most interested in his conformation, movement, and pedigree... not so much on his training... I know he looks real green to me...

Grandson of Peptoboosmal - 4 yr. old | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

There is a video to in the ad but here is the youtube link.

100 0063 Gizzy - YouTube

franknbeans 02-02-2013 07:56 AM

For the $$, you might be better off with this one

depending on what you want. Both need a considerable amount of finishing, but the mare certainly needs less-she has at least been in the pen.......not sure about her cow abilities. I also know the sellers, at least well enough to know they are good people. I also know the trainers they train with, so this mare has a good foundation.

For reining purposes, I personally am not crazy about the "training" the one you posted has on it......I have seen better.

Lopin N Paint 02-02-2013 08:50 AM

Could i get some sale and pedigree info on the mare?

And I don't want this to become a thread about training methods but I agree that the way they are riding him in the video is not how I would train and ride myself.

franknbeans 02-02-2013 08:55 AM

I'm sorry-I thought I posted the ad.....duh. All I know is what is in the ad. You will have to email Joanne for more info.
DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1847983 - Candie Bar Kid

The one you posted is prettier.......IMO, but, I know-you can't ride pretty-altho you still have to look at it! ;-)

franknbeans 02-02-2013 08:58 AM

Or, I might consider selling my guy......but he is grade.

franknbeans 02-02-2013 09:02 AM

Where are you in the Northeast? Cazabu has a couple of nice prospects also.......and my best friend just bought a Gunner so will be selling her Shining Spark granddaughter, but for more $$-ready to show.......I will try and find a video of her.

Lopin N Paint 02-02-2013 09:07 AM

Northeast PA near Lehigh Valley area. Kinda. Zip code would be around 18235.

For those of you that like to shop I like geldings, want something not too old, and don't want to spend more than $5000. I know the money really limits me :(

franknbeans 02-02-2013 09:25 AM

Here is one that Cazabu has listed-I have no idea if he is still available, or what the deal is, and I do know the trainer left for the Florida circuit this am.....
Three Year Old Reining Prospect

Cazabu is a drive for you-it is near Cazenovia, NY., but this guy has a good foundation in reining.

Cherie 02-02-2013 11:14 AM

If you are not looking for a Futurity prospect, you need a connection in this part of the country. By now, most of the 3 year olds have been sorted out to 'serious futurity prospects' and 'flunk-outs', many from a great trainer's futurity program. The ones that have had a year of training and are just not coming along good enough usually sell in that price range. Many of them have had $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 of training and their serious owners are just trying to cut their losses.

You need access to their Vet. If the horse is sound and has not had multiple Vet problems, the trainer or owner should not mind you talking to them. It takes a release.

Some of these horses are really nice prospects for lower level reining. They will require a person working with a trainer. One of you, (the horse or the rider or the trainer) needs to know what they are doing and know the correct techniques for getting there. It is not a case where the blind can lead the blind and have a good outcome. Backyard trained reining horses are a disaster. A knowledgeable person has to be involved.

franknbeans 02-02-2013 11:33 AM

Cherie- You are absolutely right about needing connections, and yes, working with a trainer is pretty much a "must"-the difficult part is that in my area (and to a great extent the OP's) good reining trainers are few and far between. Totally agree with the need for one though.