The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   48 hours in... Fall off the new horse!! (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/48-hours-fall-off-new-horse-152117/)

BurningAmber520 02-02-2013 03:58 PM

48 hours in... Fall off the new horse!!

So I get to the barn today to ride my new guy silver for the second time since he arrived on Thursday, and decide to ride without waiting for my trainer, even though we found out yesterday that Silver is not a fan of our big wooden mounting block (don't think he's ever seen anything like it before). So I bring him down to the arena with my boyfriend, and lunge him for a couple of minutes just to see where his energy level was. He was great on the lunge so I decided to get on, his eyes bugged out as soon as we walked over to the block and I made him stop and stand and walk on and come back to the block and stop and stand a few times and he was good and I think we would have been just fine, but stupid me somehow managed to kick him in the butt when I got on (something that I NEVER do!!!) And he spooked went forward and bucked, I had no feet in the stirrups, and no prayer of staying on. Landed hard on my right hip and I'm going to have a super pretty bruise there tomorrow, it definitely hurts a lot but I can walk so I don't think anythings broken.

I am not at all mad at Silly, it was entirely my fault!! Everyone has to fall off their new horse eventually right? I just got it done early on haha! My trainer is going to work with him on the mounting block tomorrow and tuesday and I have a lesson on him on Wednesday!!

waresbear 02-02-2013 04:59 PM

You got first one out of the way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 02-02-2013 05:04 PM

Ahh - the (sometimes painful) joys of gaining knowledge and experience:lol:

Freyannia 02-03-2013 08:13 AM

Well done you for not being angry with him. He is probably still in his settling in period so could be a little jumpy at things that wouldn't normally bother him. If he has a real problem with mounting blocks then I'm afraid it's time and patience and time and patience. I'd get a leg up on to him when riding and work with the mounting block when you aren't riding. He won't expect that. X

EvilHorseOfDoom 02-03-2013 08:44 AM

Ouchies! I was bucked off Brock second ride, always fun testing out where the new horse's bogeymen hide out...not! I just hope Silver hasn't now decided that bucking is an awesome way to get out of work. Get better and get back on ;-)

Cacowgirl 02-03-2013 08:47 AM

Sorry to hear that happened.Falling when mounting/dismounting is a bummer-BTDT.Did you get back on him?

clairegillies 02-03-2013 09:12 AM

I am nicely impressed with how you blame yourself and not the horse. well done you.
hope you're not too badly bruised or sore after all that.

Claire

BurningAmber520 02-03-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks all!! I didn't get back on I was in sooooo much pain. But my friend got on and worked him for an hour and got on and off in a couple times and he settled down
Posted via Mobile Device

Freyannia 02-03-2013 10:45 AM

That's really good practice well done for asking someone to help seen as you were too sore x
Posted via Mobile Device

BennysLace 02-03-2013 01:05 PM

Ouch I'm glad you are ok, I came off my mare after only having her 2weeks. I took her into one of the small arenas and she said no and started bucking like a mad woman. I came off, couldn't get back on so a friend hopped up and rode her, she never tried it again and we still do not know for sure why. I think the saddle must of not fit properly. Either way I got her a new saddle and a bitless bridle.

Oh and off topic, since I see that you infatuated with Jeremy Renner, I have never watched any of his movies but everytime a new one comes out I have 4 people calling me to tell me they saw my husband on the big screen. LOL!!! Oddly enough I find my husbnd very handsome but not Jeremy even if I do see a resemblance.