The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Therapeutic Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/)
-   -   PATH mentoring?? (http://www.horseforum.com/therapeutic-riding/path-mentoring-152137/)

Amlalriiee 02-02-2013 07:34 PM

PATH mentoring??

Hey everyone! I used to use this forum all the time but I have been MIA lately. I have a huge horse-related issue to tackle, so I'm baaaack!

Alright, so I payed the fees, took the courses, passed the tests and now I'm an instructor in training. Just as I thought my dreams were coming true, I realized nobody within 7 hours of here is willing/able to mentor me. I live in Maine, and there are centers here but they all are either unable to do weekend and vacation lessons or expect me to make a multi day per week commitment. The problem being that since they are all so far away from me, I can't just drive over after work. I'm a full time special education teacher and I have a lot on my plate, but I really don't want the work that I've done to be wasted and I am desperate to finish my mentor hours somehow. Does anybody have any ideas???? I have contacted over 30 people and am having zero luck. I am a hard-worker, I'm willing to shovel poop and ride crazy horses that need work and pay money for this, but I need someone who can work with my schedule. Any bright ideas will make my day!!:D

Taffy Clayton 02-02-2013 07:47 PM

I honestly don't know what is involved but what about doing everything over spring break, get a hotel or better yet ask if someone would put you up, and work 50 hours or however many you need during that week, and be done or at least put a big dent in the mentor hours.

Amlalriiee 02-02-2013 08:27 PM

This was my idea as well. So far, the places I've contacted have NOT been okay with me going for a week or two and being done. It makes sense that they want the kids to have consistency, but it makes it impossible to become certified when the nearest center is 3 hours away...

sillyhorses 02-03-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amlalriiee (Post 1875142)
This was my idea as well. So far, the places I've contacted have NOT been okay with me going for a week or two and being done. It makes sense that they want the kids to have consistency, but it makes it impossible to become certified when the nearest center is 3 hours away...

I wonder if they'd be more willing to accommodate you and your unique situation if you offered them a financial contribution? I know that really isn't very kind or helpful of them, BUT, most of these places are looking for some type of commitment for helping people. Most of the time, they are able to at least count on those they mentor volunteering and helping with classes even when they aren't student-teaching, from time to time. They are putting their precious students into the hands of "inexperienced" instructors (hence, the need for mentorship) - they'd like to get something in return. From my understanding, to become a "mentor" now, instructors have to participate in PATH's mentorship program (which costs the centers/instructors $$$)... So, I'd contact the nearest place again, explain your situation, and ask if they'd reconsider mentoring you for a financial (or in-kind) contribution in place of a time commitment.

littleredridinghood 02-03-2013 11:29 PM

I am doing my mentoring under another certified instructor, who does have a therapeutic center, just not an accredited place. As long as the instructor is certified the center doesn't have to be accredited. I bet it will be a lot easier to find an instructor willing to mentor you rater than an accredited center wanting to take time out to mentor you.

egrogan 02-04-2013 01:42 PM

Not sure where you are located in Maine, but I am a volunteer at a center in SW NH (so, probably at least 3 hours from you unfortunately). If you want to PM me, I can give you contact info for our center/head instructor. I won't speak for her, but perhaps she would be willing to work out something with the school break schedule, as I agree that sounds like a good option on paper.