The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   I need a new career! (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/i-need-new-career-152141/)

4horses 02-02-2013 07:20 PM

I need a new career!

I need a new career and I have no clue what I want to do!

The only thing I ever wanted in my life was to work with horses. I finally finished my Bachelor's degree in Animal Science and my plan was to move to Ocala and get a job as a Barn manager or riding instructor. Only disaster struck a month after I graduated and I caught a virus that has left me with permanent neurological issues (fainting spells, autonomic neuropathy, and random issues where my legs collapse while I walk). Now I'm being told I have a cyst (fluid filled hole) in my cervical spine. :shock:

It took 3 years to recover to the point I am at now and I've just started working again (10 hours a week) a few months ago. It is pretty clear that I will be lucky if I can handle working part time, so money is definitely an issue as my parents are paying for everything.

My back-up plan was to go to vet school. Obviously that is not going to work. Vet assistant doesn't pay enough.

I need a part time job that will still pay the bills. I'm thinking of going back to school and going into something medical. Nursing won't work because there is no way I can do 12 hour shifts... I like researching diseases, but I hate animal experimentation. Are there any master's degrees in Vet medicine? Everything I've seen says you need a PHD. A radiology tech program maybe?

I'm so lost and really heartbroken because horses are my love... I just don't know of any jobs that aren't physical. I've thought about Equine nutrition, but I don't have the money to leave home and there aren't any jobs in this area for that.

There are plenty of hospitals here, so getting a job in medicine should be easy enough if I can decide what I want to do. But I need to decide early enough that I can apply for school in the Fall.

oobiedoo 02-03-2013 02:28 AM

Ok doesn't have anything to do with horses but have you thought about the medical coding field, not sure of the exact name for it but know that after all the midicare/ medicaid abuse by hospitalz and doctors someone came up with this system where every diagnosis has a code and every test, procedure, everything done for that patient has to be allowed by that code. Not sure if it was called DRG coding.It may even be that now its something you could even do by telecommuting at least some of your work time.Another possibility might be people nutrition, needed by all hospitals, nursing homes even public health and maybe even private consultation for home health care or other preventative well health nutrition programs.
Not sure that I'd tackle radiology, it could involve a lot of helping with patient transport from rooms to radiology deptartment and positioning patients for xrays, can be a very physically demanding job.
I don't know just what physical limitations you have now or what the economy is like where you are but accounting is also a good start, hospitals and pretty much every kind of businesses need some kind of accounting work. Also banks, bank tellers, personal bankers and loan executives.
I'm so sorry life has turned upside down for you and hope these ideas might help you find a new interest.

boots 02-03-2013 07:58 PM

Coding was the first thing that jumped to my mind, too.

And, if you now have a disability you will most likely qualify for services through vocational rehab. Help with the cost of courses, books, sometimes (but rarely) a stipend.

Best wishes and I hope you find a career that will allow you to get back into horses.

Spotted 02-03-2013 08:37 PM

what about something to do with Horse DNA, diseases ect. researching or something like that. Animal genetics.
I have no clue, just throwing out some thoughts, maybe something will strike your fancy :)

4horses 02-04-2013 09:20 PM

Spotted, I would love to do something like that, but I haven't seen any jobs like that in this area.

I might be able to handle Radiology tech. I'm such a petite person I don't think I would be much help with moving patients (other than basic positioning).

Medical coding might be a good idea. I'm just afraid I will be bored silly. I've thought about medical transcription as well, but apparently it is being outsourced to other countries so I'm not sure what jobs are available.

oobiedoo 02-04-2013 11:36 PM

My best friends sister does transcribing for court and I know she has been able to work at home. Not sure what kind of equipment they use these days but wouldn't hurt to check it out.

DancingArabian 02-05-2013 12:26 AM

Bioprocessing. You work in a lab and run the machines that do the tests for medical exams and research.

Accounting. Applies to any field, you can work anywhere.

Consulting of some kind - financial, nutrition/dietician

Project management - very well paying at the mid level

Computers - technical support, hardware repair
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 02-05-2013 12:41 AM

Equine nutrition, equine dentistry, maybe something to do with breeding? Cryogenics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Luce73 02-05-2013 02:13 PM

I have recently started to study to be a Programming Analyst (I think thats the proper translation haha), that is computer programming, I am hoping to either apply it to horses in some way (making websites for barns/studfarms, or developing software that could be useful for horse institutions) or, if that turns out impossible, I will at least earn enough money to afford a couple of horses of my own. I am pretty sure there are universities that offer this study at distance, often allowing you to study from home in your own time and still giving you the official diploma once you finish.

If not, I dont know how well you ride, but a trainer qualification could be an option? (To train riders, not horses) I knew a trainer who had severe backproblems and didnt ride herself, but she was a great teacher to my friend who rode at her barn.

Hope you figure something out! Good luck!