The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   First Field Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/first-field-boots-152145/)

LikeaTB 02-02-2013 08:59 PM

First Field Boots

I am getting back into English riding after doing Western for 3-4 years, and doing English 2 years before that. I found that with Western, I was flatlining, and it was getting boring. Not much to it. My instructor also said, when I told her I was going back to English, that she thought I was flatlining too.

Anyways, I am asking this in advance although I know I won't be buying field boots for a while (sticking to half chaps/paddock boots while I still have a lot of growing left to do!). Once I get really into English, I want to start showing (who doesn't XP). If and when I get past things like schooling shows, I will probably need to get field boots/tall boots to show in.

I was looking at the Equi-Star Ladies All Weather Field Boot; anyone had experience with those? How are they? I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on field boots if I'm just showing in them (which I will probably do-just show in them, school in half chaps/paddock boots). How do they look to y'all?

Thanks!

jinxremoving 02-02-2013 10:07 PM

Equi-Star is a crap brand, I wouldn't bother. Can you afford $300? I would highly, highly recommend the TredStep Donatello's:

Tredstep Donatello Field Boot - Field Boots from SmartPak Equine

They are hands down the best (non-custom / non-monaco) tall boots you can get and the pricing is super affordable. You can sometimes find them cheaper on eBay if you look around. You want a pair that's gonna last you a while, might as well make that initial investment on something decent. :)

114 Reviews @ 5 stars tells you something. :)

LikeaTB 02-02-2013 10:22 PM

Thank you! I am only 13 so I can't really get a paying job at this age, and $300 would be out of my range. I have some money, and it is little over $300.

I was also looking at the Devon Aire North Park Field Boot, how are those? I ordered some of the paddock boots but they are too big. I do like the material though.

Canterklutz 02-02-2013 11:24 PM

I have a pair of synthetic field boots from Devon Aire. Huge waste of money. I thought I was getting a good deal but I ended up paying just as much as a more expensive, notable brand just to get the zipper repaired! I hardly ever wore the boots and they broke down really fast and the sole started coming apart. The first time I wore the boots to a show the zipper broke and I was stuck in the boots for 8 hours after the show ended and had so many people trying to pull me out!

Just save up for a good durable pair (like Ariat or Mountain Horse) and don't go for the cheap crap.

kitten_Val 02-03-2013 09:27 PM

Also be careful about Saxon boots. They are cheap, but the pair lasted me about a year only. (Saxon blankets on other hand lasted me 5 or 6 winters, and are still going strong).

I second Mt Horse. I have 3 pairs by them and love all 3.

The only problem I see is at your age your feet will be still growing for several more years, so most probably you will need different boots in a year or two.

LikeaTB 02-03-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1876741)
Also be careful about Saxon boots. They are cheap, but the pair lasted me about a year only. (Saxon blankets on other hand lasted me 5 or 6 winters, and are still going strong).

I second Mt Horse. I have 3 pairs by them and love all 3.

The only problem I see is at your age your feet will be still growing for several more years, so most probably you will need different boots in a year or two.

Thanks! That is one of the reasons I am looking for cheap(er) boots. I don't mind if the synthetic ones only last a year or so. I will probably grow out of them by that time.

xJumperx 02-05-2013 08:55 PM

I second the Saxon warning - except mine only lasted about 3 months. And they never fit right. Hated those boots ...
I have Devon-Aire's right now, and they aren't too bad at all, especially for the price. We've never really had a big budget to get super nice things, so cheaper boots have always been my only option. You can tell they are cheap wearing them, but the visual difference isn't as shocking as others, so they work for me.
Best of luck!! :)

Foxesdontwearbowties 02-05-2013 09:23 PM

Once you are pretty much done growing, I would invest in Donatellos as jinx said.
I have a pair and they are incredible already, haven't even broken in yet and they fit like a glove.
Until then I can't tell you, but good luck!

LikeaTB 02-05-2013 10:42 PM

Thanks everyone! I am starting to look more into Tredsteps (for when I stop growing, of course) because after measuring multiple times, I have found that NONE of the field boots in the Dover catalog have my calf size for the foot size, even in slim. I have a 7 1/2 size foot, and right at about 12 inch calf. The Tredstep Donatellos are the only ones that come close to that measurement; their extra slim is 12 1/4 in. I hope my calf/leg grows with the rest of my body!

Hidalgo13 02-06-2013 09:53 AM

Don't worry I'm sure they will! :) I'm not sure how old you are, but wait another year at least before buying, as it sounds like you still have a lot of growing to do. And do not buy now, but in a bigger size hoping to "grow into" it. I did that, and horribly regretted it. :-(But then that's because I ended up not growing at all. :( I was 15-16 and 5'3, and my sisters are around 5'8.5, so naturally we all thought I'd grow up to be big too. Anyhow, now I am trying to sell my lovely Ariats so I can buy a pair that fits, and all I can say is that I'm liking those Donatello. :wink:

Save your money and buy them when you feel you've done most of your growing. If they are as good or even better than the Ariats, then they are worth every penny. :D They seem like the type of boot that lasts for years.