The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Critque this trim? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/critque-trim-152156/)

HighonEquine 02-02-2013 10:34 PM

Critque this trim?

7 Attachment(s)
Okay.. Well I haven't been the happiest with my farrier lately, and to be honest I feel like I did a better job here than he has done before. Now I know I made some mistakes and I would like them pointed out! What did I do wrong, and whats okay?

On a side note, my horse is not lame and was comfortable immediately after the trim (which was the 30th) and is still comfortable today. I haven't check to see if he is landing heel first. I will look into that tomorrow.

The first set attached are the left foot only. I'll do another post with the right.

HighonEquine 02-02-2013 10:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These are the right. Also, we are currently battling some thrush in the left foot. Bleck!

HighonEquine 02-02-2013 10:39 PM

Wow.. I just notice I spelled Critique wrong..

Samstead 02-02-2013 10:54 PM

....okay I'm going to be honest, your farrier could have done better with a pair of safety scissors, if you aren't happy with your farrier GET A NEW ONE. It takes years of schooling and a working understanding of the anatomy of the leg and hoof before you can be a licensed farrier.

nvr2many 02-02-2013 10:57 PM

Subbing to learn....

Shoebox 02-02-2013 10:59 PM

Do you have any pictures of a trim after your farrier's done her feet? I'm having a hard time believing that your trim job is better than your farrier's. If it is, then my goodness you need to find a different farrier who knows what they are doing.

That being said, I HAVE seen worse jobs done, and you said the horse isn't lame from it. So.

Animallover707 02-02-2013 11:02 PM

It looks like you did a good job! a little uneven from the looks of the pics but nice work :). Especially if it was your first time, whenever the farrier dont show(Almost always he is the only farrier within a two hour drive) I do my own horses here is a pic of my appy mares hooves after i trimmed them (They were horrible! i wish a new farrier would move here) I dont think i took enough off the front but they should be alright until the farrier shows (If ever). I have read several books on the subject. also there are lots of tutorials you can attend and some are quite cheap!(Like 30 dollars) if your really interested in doing this often. I have worked with several farriers before when i lived in idaho and they said i did a great job.
http://i46.tinypic.com/20482.jpg

Samstead 02-02-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1875364)
It looks like you did a good job! a little uneven from the looks of the pics but nice work :). Especially if it was your first time, whenever the farrier dont show(Almost always he is the only farrier within a two hour drive) I do my own horses here is a pic of my appy mares hooves after i trimmed them (They were horrible! i wish a new farrier would move here) I dont think i took enough off the front but they should be alright until the farrier shows (If ever). I have read several books on the subject. also there are lots of tutorials you can attend and some are quite cheap!(Like 30 dollars) if your really interested in doing this often. I have worked with several farriers before when i lived in idaho and they said i did a great job.
http://i46.tinypic.com/20482.jpg

those look a bit long....and like they'll chip quickly

rbarlo32 02-02-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighonEquine (Post 1875329)
Okay.. Well I haven't been the happiest with my farrier lately, and to be honest I feel like I did a better job here than he has done before. Now I know I made some mistakes and I would like them pointed out! What did I do wrong, and whats okay?

On a side note, my horse is not lame and was comfortable immediately after the trim (which was the 30th) and is still comfortable today. I haven't check to see if he is landing heel first. I will look into that tomorrow.

The first set attached are the left foot only. I'll do another post with the right.

I am far from an expert but imo, the hooves are too long and unbalanced. I really would get a farrier out to sort them out a bit.

Animallover707 02-02-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samstead (Post 1875371)
those look a bit long....and like they'll chip quickly

Ya her hooves are way to tough. I rounded the toes but the farrier hasnt been here for three months and something had to be done. Her hooves need to be slowly brought back at the toe of the hoof. this is from not being trimmed and today i saw her hooves and was like im going to have to fix that. My farrier wont answer iv left like 10 messages.