The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Leg Strengthening Exercises (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/leg-strengthening-exercises-15217/)

Jemma 09-26-2008 01:02 AM

Leg Strengthening Exercises

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows any good leg strengthening exercises both in and out of the saddle. I know most people say do lots of no stirrup work, but I tried trotting without stirrups my last few lessons and nearly fell off a few times :oops: So is there anything I can do to make my legs stronger so I can get to the point where I can trot with no stirrups? My left leg needs help in particular.

Thanks! :)

Supermane 09-26-2008 01:26 AM

out of the saddle you may want to try lunges and wall sits. That's just generally leg strengthening though.

Pinto Pony 09-26-2008 04:31 AM

Standing with just your toes on a step and pushing up and down, holding it for a few seconds is great for ankles and calves. Or even just walking up and down stairs.

Walking and jogging are good for legs and general fitness.

TxHorseMom 09-26-2008 08:06 AM

Stairs. climb lots of them. You don"t have to go fast, thats cardio. When you feel comfortable climbing lots of them, go to every other stair when climbing. The more stairs you can skip, the stronger they will get.

Jemma 09-26-2008 01:48 PM

Thanks for the tips :)

daboyzmom 09-28-2008 06:49 PM

I have a series of exercises that I do at home/the gym for riding:

The Clam (pilates move)
Sideways leg lift
Knee Fallout (good for stretching your inner thigh)
Straight Leg lifts
using a balance board, practicing sitting position / two-point
Sitting on a Bosu Ball, lifting one leg and practicing balance
Double Knee Flexion (pulling knees into your chest - pilates move)
Spinal Twists laying down,
figure 4 stretch (legs)
Sideways lunge
Ball Squeeze (put a ball between your thighs and squeeze and hold - then alternate lifting legs)
Leg press
Calf extensions

Those are a number of things that I do...I have more (if you want). :D

My2Geldings 09-28-2008 10:16 PM

In the tack, nothing beats non-stirrup work. As for out of the saddle there is also a big list of things you can do but at the moment I'm to tired to get into that list. I might try to post one later :)

myboydoc 10-04-2008 09:15 PM

I used to be deathly afraid of trotting without stirrups cause I did not want to fall but I tried it one day and it is not hard at all. if you aren't wanting to go no stirrups then do squats and stuff. I hope I helped!