The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Brands to avoid (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/brands-avoid-152201/)

Fowl Play 02-03-2013 10:30 AM

Brands to avoid

We're looking to buy a horse trailer at the end of the year. We have very few options around here, so we're expecting to drive up to 100 miles to look. We have a pretty good idea of what we're looking for, but want to know if there are certain brands to avoid entirely.

We're looking at 3 horse slants, bumper pulls for now. My searching is showing me that I may as well buy new, because very few 3 horse slants are for sale in my area, and the ones that are are priced like a new trailer anyway.

CLaPorte432 02-03-2013 10:33 AM

Not sure of what to avoid...But I have a 3 place slant BP. I have a Titan Avalanche II. I absolutely love it. Check to see if you have a dealer in your area and go take a look at them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 02-03-2013 11:18 AM

Whats your tow vehicle ? alot more options with a gooseneck. Not to mention they tow much better. If you are gonna tow with an SUV or van, look real hard at your tow rating. Once you get over the initial understanding of goosenecks you'll not want a big bumper pull.

Fowl Play 02-03-2013 11:28 AM

I drive a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454. My husband wants me to consider a pick up, but we've almost paid off the suburban. I don't haul very far, and the "long" trip we take is pretty flat, and on the freeway to my daughter's reining shows. I'm up in the air about getting rid of the sub. I love it, but I'm not opposed to trading it in, if I can get a reasonable price on a better tow vehicle. One dealership (about 100 miles from here) sells both trailers and is a car lot. Definitely a place to look for a package.

Joe4d 02-03-2013 01:08 PM

Personally I will only buy aluminum, but if you ares shopping steel, when replying for adds, insist on good detailed pictures of the frame at the back door/ ramp area. This is the area that tends to rust out first. COurse that maynot be true in a slant load. Id think Id want detailed good picture of area where the horses back ends usually are. Before making the drive. Seems all the adds say no rust, or good shape, till you get there. SOme of the lower price stocky looking 3 horse bumper pulls are terrible, they will rust driving off the lot new.

Fowl Play 02-03-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1876092)
Personally I will only buy aluminum, but if you ares shopping steel, when replying for adds, insist on good detailed pictures of the frame at the back door/ ramp area. This is the area that tends to rust out first. COurse that maynot be true in a slant load. Id think Id want detailed good picture of area where the horses back ends usually are. Before making the drive. Seems all the adds say no rust, or good shape, till you get there. SOme of the lower price stocky looking 3 horse bumper pulls are terrible, they will rust driving off the lot new.

My husband wants an aluminum trailer. I did find one that is 3 hours away within our price range. We're not afraid to drive, but if I'm driving, frankly I'm driving for a new trailer. I'm not driving 3 hours each way to save $1000, to get there and see a rusted out "in good shape" trailer. Like saddles, and all other horse equipment, I know there are some that are just crappy, that's what I'd like to avoid.

I borrow a Logan 2 horse slant all summer and it's so nice, even for an older trailer. No one sells Logans around here, so to find something like that, I'll be driving.

tim62988 02-11-2013 08:27 PM

check out horse trailer world (hopefully everyone is ok with me saying htat on here....seems to be 2 very different style forums)

but one thing that I did is looked up a LOT of reviews online when I was looking at used trailers so I knew before I went these are the 3 places on this particular brand/model/year that cause problems.... I pulled in to look at the trailer we bought and luckly it was a rainy day roof leaked, I was expecting it as it's a common problem with the year of Exiss trailer I have so I talked the lady down on price a bit more since there was more work that I needed to put into it.

so know the problems, know how much to fix (call a repair shop that specializes in RV's, horse trailers, or regular trailers depending on the problem but get a quote before you go) and make sure the known problems are either already taken care of (signs of a good trailer/trailer owner) or know what it will cost to fix them and add a bit to cover your extra time

Horsigirl 02-14-2013 06:27 PM

I just got a trailer and warped my brain trying to figure out galvanized steel vs steel vs aluminum .. Etc
Ended up with a trailswest 2 horse slant it is nice
Has drop down windows on head side and stock type on rear side and rear which can be closed off with plexiglass
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 02-16-2013 04:29 PM

Stay away from Thuro-bilt. They are cheap for a reason.

I have a Circle J that I love, but also consider a Charmac, Sundowner and a Featherlite. It's a 2 horse slant BP, but I am going to need to upgrade to a 4 horse LQ in the next couple years. Also go with all aluminum if you can, and for better resale value get the tallest trailer you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

tim62988 02-21-2013 01:35 PM

the previous post got me thinking:

for your location is there a lot of salt on the roads? also how much hauling do you plan to do in the winter time?

Here in northern NY, lots of sand on the roads and some salt both get corrosive so aluminum is king, for those of you in the south with the same question for trailer brands steel is probably just as good and quite a bit cheaper and never have to worry about rust (well not never, but no more than aluminum corroding)