The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Starting a 4H Drill Team-HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/starting-4h-drill-team-help-152222/)

Love those summer nights 02-03-2013 02:35 PM

Starting a 4H Drill Team-HELP!

Hello horse forum user!
I am the president of my 4H club, and about four years ago their was a mass depletion of numbers in the club due to leadership issues. We are now trying to recover from it with new leaders and I am excited to try and get a drill team started which our club has never had. I honestly have no idea what to do. We have about 5 members that would be willing to join the team. One of our leaders used to be a choreographer for mounted routines. So I have just a few questions, can there be an odd number of riders? Do we need to buy drill charts or make our own? What is the proper attire? What type of horse would be best to use? Is this just for pleasure, or can we actually compete? Any help would be great. I really want to get our club into this and try to start increasing our numbers:) Thanks to anyone who gives advice!

TexasBlaze 02-03-2013 03:02 PM

Try talking to the extension agents in your area. They should be able to get you the rules for 4-H drill team. Also i dont think drill teams can have less than 8 participants.

Love those summer nights 02-03-2013 06:50 PM

Ok, well thanks! Ill contact then as soon as I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 02-03-2013 07:21 PM

I'm actually thinking about trying to get in with my BOs 4H group (not member, like a leader). I'm also gonna try and get a drill team together just for a little presentation during fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

Love those summer nights 02-03-2013 09:39 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking! A drill team would be so fun for fair week. Could you let me know how that goes? How large is.the club you are with?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 02-03-2013 09:46 PM

I think we have 14 members..not all of them have horse projects though. I know BOs son and a girl who's on her last year would definitely do it and love it..not too sure about the others (or their horses.. D: ), lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Love those summer nights 02-04-2013 07:57 AM

Ok, well I just read an article in a young riders magazine that said its required to have at least 4 members and no more than 24 members. its easiest if the number of members is divisible by 4 (4,8,12,etc.) but the number doesn't really matter as long as your team is up for the challenge of created maneuvers that work for a number that isn't divisible by 4 (6,10,14, etc) They article never did say if an odd number was a possibility though...I'm still gonna have to look into that haha and probably talk to a 4H leader or board member.,
Posted via Mobile Device

averyhmko 02-06-2013 10:50 AM

Talk to other teammates to choose music and moves!