The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Horrible leg position how to fix? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/horrible-leg-position-how-fix-152237/)

QHWillow 02-03-2013 04:21 PM

Horrible leg position how to fix?

So this was only my fourth English lesson and the first time riding English on my horse. (Also my mares first time in an English saddle)
My trainer kept telling me to keep my leg back and still but I couldnt figure out how to do it?!?
She tried to explain but I couldnt get it.
Heres a short few clips of me riding though so you can understand whats going on with my leg?
The saddle was way to small for me so I couldnt post well (the saddle had something hard digging into my leg whenever I would rise)
Any advice to fix it?

tinyliny 02-03-2013 04:37 PM

The saddle doesn't look all that small for you. maybe a bit. you may need to shorten your stirrup one notch. get a bigger trot from your horse, for one thing.
turn your toes to point more forward, and think about your weight going down THROUGH the stirrup to point toward the horse's back feet.

You actuallhy are doing quite well for a beginner . be patient. it'll click and then you'll just take off!

apachiedragon 02-03-2013 04:51 PM

The way I explain it to my beginner students is this: When you are posting, think about standing up out of a chair. (You will not actually be standing, this is just an analogy to give you the feeling.) If you are in a chair and are preparing to stand, you pull your feet back underneath you to support your body as you rise. If you try to stand up out of a chair with your legs stuck way out in front of you, you can't get up without a struggle. There is no support there. So bring your lower leg back underneath you as you would to stand up, and it will put it in the correct position for posting. A quick way to self-check is to glance down at your knee. If you can see your toes sticking out in front of your knee, your foot is too far forward. You should not be able to see your toes if your leg is where it belongs. Like anything else, it just takes practice practice practice, until your body gains muscle memory for those things. You are doing fine for someone just starting out.

One other thing to think about. If you are really cramming your weight down into your heels, you could be shoving the leg out in front of you. You want to think about sinking your weight down into the heel, not forcing it down. Again, its just going to take practice. Hang in there.

waresbear 02-03-2013 04:51 PM

The stirrups are hung too far forward on the saddle, I don't know how to fix that other than getting another saddle. I had one the same way, my instructor convinced to buy a new one, I did, problem solved.
Posted via Mobile Device

LynnF 02-03-2013 05:10 PM

It looks to me like you are trying to jam your heels way down and that is forcing your leg forward. Try and think more of pulling your toes up and just sinking your weight into your heels instead of trying to force your heels down. It also looks like the saddle is not fitting you at all or is just a weird shaped saddle its hard to tell from the video. I would see if you could try and find a different saddle to try.

QHWillow 02-03-2013 05:16 PM

I am currently looking for a different saddle, this one I was just trying out! The knee rolls were way above my actual knee haha! My legs are way too long for it :)

SlideStop 02-03-2013 05:23 PM

Lots of no stirrup work! Put your leg back so when you look down your toes is under them. Think about a straight line from your hips to your heels. Put it there, grip with you calf and start riding. Reset if your legs slip. My sister rode a few winters ago without stirrups and when she got back to taking lessons our trainer was AMAZED at what a difference it made.
Posted via Mobile Device

Freyannia 02-03-2013 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of non stirrup work to get your leg secure. If you think of your position you should be sitting with equal pressure on all 3 seat bones, there should be a straight line from your ear - through your shoulder - through your hip - to your heel and a straight line from your elbow - through your hand - through the rein - to the horses mouth.

If your leg is swinging when you rise it means your stirrups are too long. I would personally put up your stirrups at least 2 holes and as your legs get stronger you can can let them down one hole at a time. Always make sure that when you put your feet in the stirrups that the leathers are flat against your legs as they will pinch you if they arnt.

We usually prefer to ride in full or half chaps or long boots as the leathers can pinch your lower legs.

It's not so much that your legs are too long for the saddle as you are riding too long. You will be amazed at how much more comfortable you are if you shorten your stirrups.

Hope this helps xx

Mochachino 02-03-2013 05:48 PM

I was always sitting too far back in the saddle and had to sit more forward. Don't worry it just takes practice and time.

QHWillow 02-03-2013 06:11 PM

Thanks everyone! Ill work on no stirrup work in my western saddle till I find another english saddle!