The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse losing weight & muscle mass FAST (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-losing-weight-muscle-mass-fast-152244/)

paintgirl96 02-03-2013 04:16 PM

Horse losing weight & muscle mass FAST

4 Attachment(s)
This mare isn't mine, but she is my friends. She's a coming nineteen year old Quarter Horse. She's lost all of her muscle & weight this Winter. My friend's been feeding her double what she normally does, plus hay. She told me she seemed weak & not interested in feed as much. I told her to check her teeth & to keep a close eye on her & to keep her hydrated. Any tips? I'll add some pictures.Attachment 128102

Attachment 128103

Attachment 128104

Attachment 128105

BornToRun 02-03-2013 04:20 PM

My tip would be to have a vet look at this horse as soon possible.

paintgirl96 02-03-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1876358)
My tip would be to have a vet look at this horse as soon possible.

Yeah, I told her to do that as quickly as she could, but she said she didn't have the money right now.

Animallover707 02-03-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintgirl96 (Post 1876365)
Yeah, I told her to do that as quickly as she could, but she said she didn't have the money right now.

you can talk to a few vets and have them make out a payment plan that looks like an emergency she might have a blockage in her guts she really needs to go to a vet she looks like she could die in the next week or so.

paintgirl96 02-03-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animallover707 (Post 1876370)
you can talk to a few vets and have them make out a payment plan that looks like an emergency she might have a blockage in her guts she really needs to go to a vet she looks like she could die in the next week or so.

That's what I've been telling her, but she just recently told me about this. In November, the last time I saw her horses in person, she was still fat & healthy.

NdAppy 02-03-2013 04:32 PM

From the looks of the mare she NEEDS a vet ASAP. We can give you all the feeding advice in the world, but since she has deteriorated so far that she is a 1 on the body scale... a vet really needs to be involved to determine what has caused this mare.

From her condition I am not surprised she is weak. She appears to basically be a walking skeleton with fur.

NdAppy 02-03-2013 04:34 PM

If she refuses to get a vet out, make a call to your local animal control or sheriffs office or something. NOT having this mare seen is abuse IMPO.

Animallover707 02-03-2013 04:37 PM

If she has lost that much that fast i deffinatly think its blockage, honestly i would do anything to get a vet out, when my horses are hurt i make an aggreement to make payments or i ask if she can work it off. If she doesnt see a vet asap i predict that the horse will probably die. I watched a 42 year old horse for a lady for a week and one day i saw the horse wasnt eating and was acting funny, i called a vet immediatly(Was a little scared the owners would be mad, but id rather have them be mad then the horse die) and found out that she had a blockage in her stomach.

Spotted 02-03-2013 04:37 PM

If she doesn't get a vet ASAP this horse will DIE !

BornToRun 02-03-2013 04:42 PM

If she can't afford a vet bill, she can't afford a horse IMHO.

I would be calling any vet in your area for help. This horse has a lot of weight in a small amount of time, she needs help.