The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Does anyone nip down to sole level, then just rasp to bevel? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/does-anyone-nip-down-sole-level-152246/)

KeroKero 02-03-2013 04:39 PM

Does anyone nip down to sole level, then just rasp to bevel?
 
Pretty much covered it in the title, I feel. I'm about to start doing my own trims, got a hoof stand, hoof knife, nippers, rasp - thought I'd get people's opinions before I nipped away. I've studied hooves long enough, time to get in there. I'm not forgetting the bars and sole, I just don't have questions about them right now. Thanks horse people.

Spotted 02-03-2013 05:13 PM

Bare Foot Horse
Hope this helps. Its better to leave them a little longer and then go shorter if you have to. This way if you make a mistake you can touch up with the rasp, rather than wait for them to grow out. I normally don't have to touch the sole.

KeroKero 02-03-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1876451)
Bare Foot Horse
Hope this helps. Its better to leave them a little longer and then go shorter if you have to. This way if you make a mistake you can touch up with the rasp, rather than wait for them to grow out. I normally don't have to touch the sole.


So, you wouldn't, then? It just seems so much faster...

KeroKero 02-03-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeroKero (Post 1876459)
So, you wouldn't, then? It just seems so much faster...

Thinking about it here on my own, I supposed I'm assuming the sole is level/balanced. Is this often not the case?

Spotted 02-03-2013 05:27 PM

Not being new at it I wouldn't. leave yourself some room and take your time. trim a little take a picture, go in the house look at it and then go from there. unless your feeling confident, but I would rather take my time then have a lame horse in the end.
Just my thoughts.
Or you can do your trim and post pics. There are may people on here that can give advise. there is another thread posted right now check it out.

KeroKero 02-03-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1876470)
Not being new at it I wouldn't. leave yourself some room and take your time. trim a little take a picture, go in the house look at it and then go from there. unless your feeling confident, but I would rather take my time then have a lame horse in the end.
Just my thoughts.
Or you can do your trim and post pics. There are may people on here that can give advise. there is another thread posted right now check it out.

That I will definitely do. I am feeling very confident, but now I'm wondering about the sole as my guidline..

Spotted 02-03-2013 05:34 PM

Its easier to give advice if you showed before pic's. people on here can actually draw on your picture to show guidelines.. I really like loosie and a couple other people on here to get advice from. Maybe start there. Have your plan and see what others think, before you nip.

KeroKero 02-03-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotted (Post 1876478)
Its easier to give advice if you showed before pic's. people on here can actually draw on your picture to show guidelines.. I really like loosie and a couple other people on here to get advice from. Maybe start there. Have your plan and see what others think, before you nip.

But I'm not asking about my horses feet specifically for this question, I wanted to know if other people have done trims by nipping to sole level, then rasping the bevel - which makes sense in my head but I've never seen it done. But then when I thought about it, that means if the sole isn't level, the trim won't be. At the same time, since you don't want hoof wall touching the ground and creating that leverage anyway, you may as well nip and then bevel, and I suppose if the sole wasn't exactly balanced you could knife or rasp it down a tad... that makes sense...

So, what I'm saying in that wall of text above XD is that no matter what, you'd need to go by the sole and correct it if it were imbalanced, .. so why not nip to save time.

Spotted 02-03-2013 05:48 PM

Ok .. yes I do trim level with the sole. and then bevel. they are not walking directly on the sole either.tI tend to leave just a tad longer on the heals 1/8 th of an inch.
I don't touch the soles, at the toes, maybe just a little around the frog just to clean it up a little if nessesary.

Spotted 02-03-2013 05:50 PM

I'm not a pro, I just do my own horses. Hopefully someone else jumps in to help you as well.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0