The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindle... Which one? backlights... etc.

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jake and Dai 
#1 ·
So it is my 21st soon and I have asked for a kindle. I don't want the Kindle Fire because I only want it to read books. So, I was thinking about getting the standard Kindle.
This one. Kindle e-reader with WiFi 6" E Ink Display

I know that the Paperwhite has a backlight (so you can read in the dark) but does the one I posted also have a backlight? Surely it does but it does not specify. Can anyone that has one verify for me whether it does or not, thank you.

#2 ·
#4 ·
The one you have shown will not be backlit.

Personally, I prefer the unlit Kindle that I have (WiFi, 3G?). It doesn't cause strain on my eyes like looking at my phone or the laptop.

If you need to read in the dark, you can get cases that have a little reading light on them, like this... Amazon Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite): Amazon.ca: Kindle Store
This is the one I have as well with a case that has a light included.

The other benefit to having a non-backlit one, the battery works much much longer, especially if you turn the wireless off. My battery has lasted up to 2 weeks!

#3 ·
I have the super basic one, I believe it was only $60. I love it because it's so no non-sense! It has wifi to download your books, so it does everything I need. If you aren't looking for anything fancy, I definitely recommend it. It does not have a backlight, however.

#5 ·
My kindle is about three years old, it's a basic one with no back lighting, no Internet, no extras. I love it! It's much easier on the eyes than a iPad screen, and r battery lasts. I think that with e-books Less IS More :)

#6 ·
Ladies, I upgraded to the Paperwhite, and I LOVE IT!! It is front lit, not back lit, so it doesn't strain the eyes like a tablet or a computer - trust me, I get eye strain from a few hours on the PC but have not had any problems at all reading for a long time on the PW.

I had the Kindle 3 - the one with the keyboard and with no touch screen, and I loved that too, but the PW is definitely a good apple and I was very happy when my K3 got a group of dead pixels.

#9 ·
Shropshirerosie, did you know that the Sony ereader is compatible with the library system. Join the library, they give you a membership number. Go into the website and pick out your books. They aren't always available altho they do tell you how many are ahead of you. I'd pick out three for the hold list and that worked out fairly well. Just like regular library lending, you have to read it in two weeks or it disappears from your reader. I got one as the nearest library is over 30km.

#11 ·
My Kindle works in my library system the same way. I just finished Catherine the Great. What was nice, I had my wireless off, so had it for a little more than the borrowing period because it's a long book and I didn't manage to finish it in time. Once I did finish it and turned my wireless on, poof, it was returned. So far I don't think I've got a late fee to pay. :D

I also have Amazon Prime and in addition to free shipping and other perks, I can borrow a book a month from their lending library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.