The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is an Equine Career for me?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sadiescreek 
#1 ·
Hi, I have always loved animals since I could talk and probably before then:p I am coming to the end of my high school education and getting some post secondary education and starting a career is on my mind.

I am looking for a job dealing with animals, although I'm not into chiropractic or becoming a vet. Also not into enviromental stuff (trees, small organisms, bugs etc) I want to also have a career where I can support myself easyily, so a job making a good amount of money would be great. I live in the eastern cost of Canada and would love to stay around here if possible.

Do you guys have any career ideas for me? Anything is useful to me. I appreciate all suggestions:)

#3 ·
Farriery if you have the stomach (and back) for it seems to be a good choice. Please become a good farrier, though. There are too many backyard "Mustang roll" barefoot nuts out there. I love a barefoot horse, but a farrier with no knowledge of how a domesticated performance horse hoof works is a useless farrier in my opinion. Also a farrier who doesn't know how to forge their own shoes/corrective equipment is useless in my opinion.

What I'm saying I guess is to become a blacksmith. Spend a good anount of time in an internship with a GOOD farrier who has more positive references than hairs on their head. So many horses are ending up on the meat truck because nobody could fix their lameness or stop laming them to begin with.

Apparently I needed to rant - sorry about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
Don't be sorry, I can completely see where your coming from. I would defiantly take the time and become really well and have lots of knowledge before working with horses on my own without guidance. A good farrier is what everyone should have. I don't want to be the reason someone's horse gets ruined for say. I would take my job very seriously.
Only consern is I'm rather tiny and not sure how my back would hold up from being bent down all day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.