The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Another Ranch horse show question-?Square stop? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/another-ranch-horse-show-question-square-152304/)

franknbeans 02-04-2013 10:53 AM

Another Ranch horse show question-?Square stop?

I was just looking at a the pattern descriptions for a ranch horse show that will be in the area and I am considering doing for fun. Well.......the reining class has several stops in it that are "square stops". I am thinking that would be a normal immediate, abrupt, but not sliding-stop. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks-these sound like fun and I really hope to get to do some...since my guy will never be a top reining prospect, this would be a way to continue to use his reining training and have fun!

franknbeans 02-06-2013 09:05 AM

Soooo......I emailed the folks who are doing the show to ask the same question. They don't know either, and suggested that I come watch a show and see what others do! Really? How can you put on a show and not know what is expected? I understand this is mostly just a fun show, but if you put one on, I would think you should at least know what the terms you are putting on your website mean! Guess I will just have to practice ALL stops and hope for the best! lol

Muppetgirl 02-06-2013 09:10 AM

Are you slow loping a circle before the square stop? If so its probably like a green Reiner class where you stop in centre of a circle at a slow lope.

Essentially a stop without a slide. Getting is square ie. all four feet even is tricky, but doable.

franknbeans 02-06-2013 09:18 AM

Here is an example......these patterns are different from the typical NRHA ones.....seem easier. I am thinking just a stop without a slide too.......will be doable, especially since I typically do not have sliders on my guy, and most places around me are reiner wanna be's......so the footing is not safe to slide on most places. Shoot-these patterns don't even say fast or slow circles-guess it is whatever speed I choose......lol

Ranch Reining Pattern #4
HORSES MAY WALK OR TROT TO THE CENTER
ARENA. HORSES MUST WALK OR STOP PRIOR TO
STARTING THE PATTERN. BEGINNING AT THE CENTER OF THE ARENA FACING THE LEFT WALL OR FENCE.

1. Begin at center of arena, facing right wall or fence. Take a right lead
and complete a circle to the right, away from the judge.
2. At the center of arena, change leads and do two circles to the left,
approximately the same size.
3. At the center of arena, change leads.
4. Go to the end of arena and without stopping or breaking gait, run
down the center of arena past end marker.
5. Do a square stop. Hesitate.
6. Do 2 spins to the right.
7. Run the full length of the arena past the end marker and do a square
stop. Hesitate.
8. Do 2 spins to the left.
9. Run past center marker of arena, do a square stop.
10. Back to the center of arena (10-15 foot).
11. Do a 360-degree spin to the right or left.
12. Do a 360-degree spin opposite direction taken in #11.
13. Hesitate to show completion of pattern.

Muppetgirl 02-06-2013 09:36 AM

Hmmmm makes ya kind of nervous when it says 'run down' and square stop....that's called scotching! Lol! I'm confused now too, because as you know in reining making a run down means sliding! Even saying a stop was 'square' means you slid straight! I'd be tempted to contact another competitor or a trainer who has done this before. I'm still thinking its just stopping.....I just wish they didn't write 'run down' first!

Let me know what you find out! I will probably be in the same boat this fall!

franknbeans 02-06-2013 09:39 AM

Glad my guy is not a competitive reiner-and never will be....since I would not want to teach one who is (like my friends new Gunner) to just stop at the end of a run down and not slide....seems to me not to be the best thing to teach if you want to do reining (NRHA competitive type, that is)

Muppetgirl 02-06-2013 09:48 AM

Yeah, I've learnt that there two ways to stop, the 'whoa' stop and the stop where you are shushing them down, my guy can do both. Yes and getting a horse to stop softly and lightly all while looking pretty WITHOUT sliding is a challenge, but doable.....I can slide better than I can stop without!!! I've also learnt to only say whoa when I want to slide, if I want him to stop without sliding I just dont sit so deep or brace so hard....or run down so fast!!! Lol!!

COWCHICK77 02-09-2013 05:57 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Its just a regular stop. In the ranch horse classes you don't need sliding stops, they just want to see a responsive horse that stops on his hindend.

I love the ranch horse shows and I encourage you guys to try them!

beau159 02-13-2013 10:49 AM

Hmm, I do find that weird that the show committee doesn't know their own definition.

I know it doesn't give you time to prepare, but what if you can find the judge before the show starts and ask for the JUDGE'S clarification of the pattern? (Since they will be the one making the scores....).

It does not appear that you need to do a sliding stop (as it doesn't word it that way). Just make sure you are stopping completely even and, well, square!

franknbeans 02-13-2013 01:02 PM

Thanks-yeah I do hope to do at least one this year.....and not a problem-we can do either one if need be. I just need to know what to ask for. Stopping is my guys favorite thing----along with being a statue. lol