The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse falls over while getting a massage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-falls-over-while-getting-massage-152315/)

Animallover707 02-04-2013 11:56 AM

Horse falls over while getting a massage?

Im a big believer in massaging my rescue horses it helps us bond. a while back as i was massaging one of them in the fresh morning sunlight he fell asleep and fell over, he struggled for a second, not sure what happened and then he got up and was just fine.
Did i get him so relaxed that his muscles didnt hold him up?

Chevaux 02-04-2013 03:04 PM

Horses have the ability to `lock`their legs to keep them standing while they`re sleeping - I should think he either forgot to do it or else the locking mechanism is faulty. I knew a horse one time that couldn`t seem able to lock his legs well. He would actually fall down in his stall while asleep - it was very alarming if you heard him do it but he never seemed to hurt himself.

Critter sitter 02-04-2013 03:13 PM

sounds like he was really enjoying it..

beau159 02-04-2013 03:23 PM

Sounds like he wasn't paying attention to himself because he was digging the massage......

I had a 5 yr old mare that I took to a playday for her first time. She handled it like a champ, and was even dozing off a bit while we were just watching by the fence with everyone else. All of a sudden she started falling over, and barely caught herself before she fell and almost smacked her own face on the fence. LOL She literally dozed off without locking her legs. We thought it was pretty funny!

LexusK 02-04-2013 03:29 PM

I once worked at a facility in which there was a gelding who was unable to lock his knees - that or he consistently forgot! The students would stand around and just wait for him to lose his balance and startle himself awake! I should also mention that we never witnessed him completely fall over, he simply lost balanced and swung to the left every time and caught himself before he fell. Poor fella, can't a horse get some decent R&R? :)

Animallover707 02-04-2013 06:54 PM

Lol thanks guys, he only did it the one time so im thinking that he was just super relaxed and forgot to lock his knees. It was funny afterwards but scary when it happened because i thought he was having a stroke or something.