The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Tested N/N for Colour Markers: Is it possible to still carry them? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/tested-n-n-colour-markers-possible-152321/)

Glynnis 02-04-2013 01:32 PM

Tested N/N for Colour Markers: Is it possible to still carry them?

Hello Friends of Horse Forum,

This may be a stupid question, but I'd like some clarification and I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for on the internet. I sent for a coat colour test at UC Davis and just received the results back this morning. They are for my mare Lilly, who is a solid Pinto. Her sire is a Paint, so I was testing for OLWS and thought it'd be fun to see if there were any other paint markers. Here are the results. Everything came back N/N (which yahoo for OLWS being N/N!), so does that mean that she has inherited absolutely zero paint colour markers, or could she still carry some characteristics, but the testing just doesn't go into that much depth? I find it odd with her sire being a Paint, she wouldn't carry anything, but if he was heterozygous, I suppose it isn't impossible. Again, this might be a dumb question, but I'm relatively new to the world of colour genetics, so any insight you can offer is appreciated.

LETHAL WHITE

OVERO
N/N No evidence for the altered sequence detected.

SABINO 1 N/N No evidence of altered sequence detected.

SPLASHED

WHITE SW-1
N/N No copies of SW-1 mutation.

SPLASHED

WHITE SW-2
N/N No copies of SW-2 mutation.

SPLASHED

WHITE SW-3
N/N No copies of SW-3 mutation.

NdAppy 02-04-2013 01:36 PM

What you need to keep in mind is there are still white patterns out there that are not testable. We don't know what they are at this time. For what it's worth, splashed white is still a very, very new test in the scheme of things. :grin:

If she is N/N for something that means that she is completely negative for that gene/will not have any characteristics of it.

Glynnis 02-04-2013 01:46 PM

Blast! I suspected as much. :-) I was hoping to see maybe a recessive gene in there somewhere and increase her odds of throwing a Paint coloured foal. No matter though, the main thing was OLWS which is good info to know that she is N/N. All of the others were just a plus. Thanks for your input NDAppy.

Poseidon 02-04-2013 02:16 PM

Just adding that there isn't anything harmful in a horse being N/O. Your breeding options would just be limited if you were responsible about it. It's not like HYPP, where even N/H is bad. O/O is lethal, but you'd find out pretty quickly if your foal was a lethal white.

But you want a chance of a regular papered APHA when breedin her, your best chance would be to breed to a stallion that is homozygous for a gene. It would guarantee the foal would inherit the gene, though unfortunately not guarantee if be expressed for the APHA.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glynnis 02-04-2013 02:48 PM

Yeah, I know OLWS has to be homozygous to be lethal. The stallion I plan on breeding to is advertised as being N/N as well and I have a copy of his test, but it's so easy with computers to alter something that it just gives me that extra peace of mind knowing she is N/N. The breeder seems reputable and she has the stud's OLWS status advertised everywhere, so the chances that she is being dishonest are quite slim, and if she was being dishonest, I think it would be difficult to defend falsely advertising, but I like knowing for myself 100% that there isn't a chance. Perhaps I'm just overly cautious or suspicious of people! Lol.

Colour is only secondary for me. The stallion is heterozygous for Tobiano, so I do have a chance of getting a solid foal, but what really drew me to him was his extremely calm personality, conformation and movement. I've seen what he's thrown and he seems to have the traits I am looking for that I think would complement my mare nicely. My reason for wanting to breed to a Paint are to hopefully get a spotted horse, but if not, I can still register the foal as Breeding Stock Pinto, just like my mare currently is. I was just hoping she carried SOME Paint markers and it was more for fun that I wanted to find out. If I don't get a spotted baby, I'm perfectly ok with that too.

Reno Bay 02-04-2013 03:06 PM

Since she has white on her, she has some pinto gene. She could have one of the untestable Sabino or Splash genes. Since my eyes are bad, I can't make an opinion from your photographs of her. I want to place my money on some form of Sabino though.

Glynnis 02-04-2013 03:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are larger pictures. In a different thread others had thought some form of splash and sabino without knowing her test results. I've put some pictures so you can see a little better, hopefully they are large enough. She has her lip spot which I always joke is the one Paint "spot" she inherited which my guess is most likely some sort of sabino. Please excuse the poor condition of her hooves in these photos - when these were taken, she had missed her regular farrier appointment due to an abscess where she couldn't bear weight.

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colo...p;d=1352000445

Front Left
Attachment 128200

Hind Legs
Attachment 128201

Attachment 128202

SunnyDraco 02-04-2013 09:17 PM

You didn't test her for tobiano, she could be minimally expressed on her legs with some other white causing genes giving her facial white. Just a thought

Glynnis 02-05-2013 12:54 PM

Woops, actually I did, I just missed it when I copied and pasted. None of that either!

TOBIANO N/N No evidence of altered sequence detected. Horse is not Tobiano.