The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Do I need the flash piece? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/do-i-need-flash-piece-152349/)

SketchyHorse 02-04-2013 05:35 PM

Do I need the flash piece?

Today I had some time to kill so I swung over by the local tack store just to browse. To my surprise they had some very nice Dressage bridles with crystal (fake obviously) browbands & nosebands. Best part? They were cheap & I was looking for a new show bridle.

When I got home though I realized the bridle didn't have a flash noseband attachment. Because of the crystals on the noseband I obviously wouldn't want to use an attachment one - I'd have to get one sewn onto it. BUT, my question is: do I even really need it? It's just going to be used strictly at shows. The bridle my mare has now has the flash piece & that's what she'll be continued to get schooled in. I might have answered my own question. Still want to get some second opinions.

unclearthur 02-04-2013 05:58 PM

Just my opinion but a flash noseband is one of those halfway-house gadgets - it's neither one thing nor the other. It doesn't keep the horse's mouth closed like a drop noseband nor help stop the horse crossing it's jaw like a grakle.

I've never seen the point, so never used one. Having said that some horses do go well in one, in the same way that some like a Pelham - a bit that tries to do two things at once and succeeds in neither :?

jillybean19 02-04-2013 11:16 PM

My instructor recommended getting a flash noseband for my horse's gaping problem (from boredom) - after some research, I decided a drop would actually work much better while unclearthur pretty much summarized the problems with a flash.

I really liked the explanation I found on this website, and have found this website to be pretty accurate overall:

::: Sustainable Dressage - Tack & Auxillary Equipment - The Bridle & the Bit :::

tinyliny 02-04-2013 11:32 PM

You do not NEED a flash.

if the horse is gaping, there are other problems that need to be addressed.

countercanter 02-04-2013 11:39 PM

I feel like a flash acts as an ill fitting figure 8...I've never liked them much.

SketchyHorse 02-05-2013 12:25 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. The question wasn't if I needed one, she's already ridden in one & will continue to be in one, the question was if it was necessary to put one on her SHOW bridle. Which she'll only be ridden in for shows.

Muppetgirl 02-05-2013 12:30 AM

Yes, do put one on her show bridle if you ride at home in one. It's best to keep your home gear and your show gear as similar as possible.

jillybean19 02-05-2013 12:31 AM

^^You beat me to saying the exact same thing X-D